Old 08-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #1

Garage
Skid plate recommendations ?

Twice now I've managed to lodge a tree branch (about 2" diameter) between the radiator and the front axle. This has made me consider the need for a skid plate.
After many searches, and reviewing many pic's on this forum, I find it curious there are very few rigs outfitted with one... Which makes me question why.

I wounder if its simply the lack of options in the market for a skid plate designed to bolt on (in my case for a 2006 E-350)?. The few I have come across are highly functional, but I'm not sure I want to redirect all air from entering the underside of the vehicle - especially taking into account these rigs already run hot.

So I'm soliciting feedback/advise on the need

Old 08-06-2017, 12:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Yeah I don't know if heat would be an issue. I've never had anything lodge up front but have banged my diffs. It's hard to say what a a skid plate up front will do without testing on each engine and front configuration. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought one of the forum locals was offering something but it might be specific to the make of bumper. Years back a few members added air dams to hopefully redirect some air flow. I don't know how well those worked and if it worked on one vehicle, it might work differently on another. The same might be true with a skid plate even if it has vent holes in it. It would look cool though.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote