Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #31
Site Team

Garage
Re: Small Projects Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderluster
I use these vacuum caps for my PH hooks as well as other bolts, etc. Many uses. Can be found at O'Reillys or Auto Zone

Interesting, are those typical tool dip bolt covers? A variety pack would be nice to have.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #32

Small Projects Thread

Have never liked the dining table that came with the van so finely got around to building a new one. While I was at it I made it so it can be inside the van on the center post like the old one or hanging off a French cleat either the storage box or the interior cabinet. Also cutdown a cargo bar to support the outside edge. It should make it easy for height adjustment and leveling.

Mounted on storage box.

Cabinet mounted

Close up of French cleat mounted on the face of the storage box. The table has the opposite profile mounted to it so they just lock together.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371427883.087397.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371428027.487576.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371428060.187171.jpg  
larrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Have never liked the dining table that came with the van so finely got around to building a new one. While I was at it I made it so it can be inside the van on the center post like the old one or hanging off a French cleat either the storage box or the interior cabinet. Also cutdown a cargo bar to support the outside edge. It should make it easy for height adjustment and leveling.
Simple, effective, creative and very impressive.

Job well done

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #34

Small Projects Thread

Last minute changes to the closets before the Jackson Hole M&G.

Removed the cost hangers from both closets and installed shelves. Should have done this before. Provides for much more efficient storage.

Added adjustable brackets and four shelves in the small closet. The top two are additional pantry space. The bottom two are for cold weather coats. The floor is for boots.

Removed the bottom fixed shelf in the large closet and moved it up so the Curve would fit below it. Allows just enough space for some water jugs. Found some plastic bins for clothes that fit nicely onto the other shelves.

Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371521021.886952.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371521286.586517.jpg  
larrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #35

Well I rebuilt my power cord after a winter or two of running over it with the tractor. They're pretty tough, but the plug end had separated from the cord sheathing.

Start by removing the opposite end:

Place the ends in a vice. The wires will be damaged but trimmed later.

Before stretching you can see the gap, it's actually about 1/2":

And done with the rebuildable end back on:

The first length of green wire was cut from the green, black and white to eradicate the damage from the vice (they actually seemed fine, but I wouldn't trust wiring after that kind of force). The next 3 wire segments represent how much I had to trim to restore the end under full sheathing- in other words how much the insulation tube traveled.

I pulled as hard as I could, basically using the same technique I do to rewind a winch cable (leaning with full force, pulling with leather gloves) about three times in total to get the sheathing back in place.

Now if I can only keep from snow plowing over my cord!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1540.JPG   DSCF1538.JPG   DSCF1539.JPG   DSCF1544.JPG  
Old 07-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #36

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken

Rear door screen

Bought screen material and snaps from HD.

Small rubber hose at bottom uses gravity to hold bottom.

Folds up nicely and rolls into gap between shower wall and door wall
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #37

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken

S10 jump seat added to Bearsmobile

Small, flips up, uncomfortable to sit it, but ok for that extra spot
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   image.jpg  

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #38

Taking inspiration from others with their net-work, I installed a storage net along the cabinets across from my gaucho. It's some sort of net from a Cadillac I got off eBay for $10 shipped; elastic and about 3.5' long. Fastened with some stainless snap hooks I had laying around, and four eye bolts. Basically for jackets and hats and some other stuff that gets left laying out in the back and eventually winds up on the floor anyway.

Pardon the blurry photo.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:41 AM   #39

I bought a 98 Club Wagon HD with a 7.3L PowerStroke in September 2012. Other than building an elevated bed, my modifications so far have been pretty minor (new CD player, speakers, aluminum wheels, fog and reverse lights). I made my first real CUSTOM mod a few weekends ago and thought I'd share. I first removed the rear door panel and installed a sound deadening material made by Rockford Fosgate (I think its called Dead Skin). A friend got it for free and gave it to me so even if it helped a little bit it was worth the little time it took to install. Then I cut 1x4s custom to fit and make a box out of the top hole. I cut another 1x4 to make a flat bottom for the larger hole you see in the photo. Before installing the custom fit boards, I installed carpet along the back of the door panel and wrapped each piece of wood with carpet as well. After installing the carpeted planks to make my storage boxes I just had to trim the plastic door panel out where the holes were already in the steel from the factory. I did this with a Dremel tool. After installing the door panel I started working on the table. Just glued up a couple 1x6s after running them through a planer. Some heavy sanding and several coats a lacquer and the table was ready to install. I used hinges from Home Depot and a small chain on the side to hold the table. I also found a small pin type clasp to hold the table up while going down the road.

Although I haven't used it for anything other than showing it off, I am REALLY happy with the results. Looking to keep customizing my van. Its the best thing I've ever purchased and having a blast living the van life.

Let me know what you think. Also, I need some ideas on how to trim out the holes I cut into the plastic door panel. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3871.jpg   IMG_3872.jpg  
- Nick S. in Oceanside....1998 Ford Club Wagon Chateau HD, 7.3L PSD, 4" Turbo back exhaust. Still a 2wd van with 3.55 floating rear diff. Sitting with a 4" Weldtec Designs bent I-beam lift with Agile Offroad tuned Fox shocks. Still have baby tires (245s) but loving the van more and more each day.
nicksandvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #40

I used the car door 'no ding' stuff they sell by the roll at Advance Auto. It's tough to get on there but stays once it is. If you don't know what I mean it's the stuff you can buy to put along the edges of your car doors. They have it in black.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote