Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #61

Re: Small Projects Thread

Thanks for the tips. I know about the headlight switch challenge (1998 chassis!). When I got my current rig, the dash lights did not work. Checked fuses, not that. I wasn't sure how to diagnose further so took a chance and got a new headlight switch (figured a rotating thing like that might be more prone to failure than other things) and put it in. Yay, problem fixed!

Unfortunately I touched a wrench to something else accidentally (while trying to get the headlight switch out) and fried one of my power door locks (since fixed). I wasn't sure if I would need a secret radio code if I took off the battery cable (as it turned out I don't, so I might as well have removed it and saved myself the door lock switch hassle!). Anyway, all fixed now, but yeah, that headlight switch was a pain.

On the two sided tape, etc. I've found "dual lock" Velcro to work really well. For example, you know how things like the Scan Gauge give you stick on Velcro, but it always ends up falling off in the heat, no matter how well you prepped? Put mine back on (finally) with dual lock and it hasn't budged in over a year. Ahhhh. I have the "smaller" dual lock for many things because the "full sized" dual lock is REALLY strong. Let me see if I can find the details...

Okay, this is what I bought for the Scan Gauge:

3M Scotch SJ4570 Dual Lock Low Profile Reclosable Fastener (clear)

I realize you don't necessarily want Velcro, but this does seem to hold well, so I sometimes use it "instead of" double faced tape.

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #62

PAINT THE YELLOWED PLASTIC!
Our rig is just going on five years from the build, and all those plastic housings for outdoor shower, porch lights, etc. have gone all different shades of yellow---it looks awful! Painting them is akin to using Armorall on your tires but lasts much longer! I got the idea after trying to get a few more seasons out of our plastic lawn furniture, or until the UV damage is so great you break a leg one day just sitting down (your's or the chair's). Rust-Oleum comes as spray paint for plastic---that is what I use. I found something slightly off-white that matches the white body color better than a "purer" white when I refurbished the steel propane door. For an non-white vehicle it is less critical.

Here is the paint and the steel propane door that was done a while ago:

Here is how differently things yellow (the shore power lid was o.k. as is):

The porch lights were the yellowest and definitely became reborn:

Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:50 PM   #63

Replaced the power window motor gear box on the drivers side. Thought I had to replace the entire motor but found the gear box portion at Rock Auto for less than $20.00. It was a bit time consuming but well worth it. Now the drivers side window gues up and down again.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #64

WARNING WARING! go to general sportsmobile vendor products about my lights with scott
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378
WARNING WARING! go to general sportsmobile vendor products about my lights with scott
Huh? If this is important, please be more specific, or give the link to what you are talking about!
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms
Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378
Huh? If this is important, please be more specific, or give the link to what you are talking about!
He must be talking about this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2592
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #67
Site Team

Garage

Sounds like a bad ground wire

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #68

I think this is an excellent idea! Even though I do not own a Sportsmobile, I am getting some great ideas on these forums for my Chevrolet Express van converted into a camper. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Another item off my list.

How many of you have been out on the trail when a great photo opportunity came along and had to fumble for your camera? I usually find mine find buried under the maps on the floor between the seats.
Hows this for a quick release camera mount?
The actual mount is the quick release part of a tripod system.
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-323-Con ... =1-2-fkmr0

It is bolted to a angle bracket that is screwed to the underside of my laptop mount.
viewtopic.php?p=42807#p42807
(I think it would work just as well bolted to the plastic trim on the side of the seats.)
Black95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #69

Small Projects Thread

Added a stainless pull to double as towel rack and replaced the pull with a t knob.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:43 AM   #70

I made a center console holder for my Porta-potty. I use the top for a seat and with the pillow removed it is a catch-all table while we are driving. The sides have canvas tool holders for small objects and a front pocket for maps.

Later I added a 12volt-110volt converter to it and a cup holder for my camera lens. This way my camera lens is always readily available.
Black95 is offline   Reply With Quote