Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #91
Site Team

Re: SMB's solution for awning cracks (and Eli's custom brackets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecksTank
For all those that have expressed intrest, I place an order for 10 more pairs of brakets. I will have more info next week on when they will be done. Thanks for watting.

Eli
Thanks Eli. Hope you're back home safe and sound.

Herb

Old 09-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #92

Well folks, the new order is about to come in. It should be here by the end of the week. Those of you that are serious about buying a set, please send me a private message from the forum, and or send payment to

Eli Peck
address provided via PM

I am willing to (save myself some work) offer the brackets unfinnished for $180 and painted black for $190, so please specify your deisred finish or lack there of.

Any questions, you can e-mail.

Eli
Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #93

Just sent you a PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #94

The new order is in. I have 4 confirmed/ payed orders. That leaves 7 sets up for grabs. If you are intrested, please PM. This will likly be the last order. Thanks for your support.

Eli
Old 10-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #95

Just an update on the brackets - still working very well! They've stayed tight and haven't budged at all over the last 4 or 5 thousand miles, including nasty washboard and plenty of highway. I took them off at one point to check underneath - the butyl rubber had prevented any scratches or dents, so there was no evidence that they were even there (if that makes a difference to you).

It took me a little bit to become comfortable with the idea of hanging that heavy awning off the side of the van with any sort of bracket, but I now drive without a worry or a thought about it. These are nice brackets, and I'm happy I spent the money. I did have to bend them a small amount after a while to clear the pop-top seal, and I did take some metal off of the underside of the front bracket, to clear the passenger door. So they weren't technically 'plug and play' - they needed these little tweaks (about 20 minutes of work) to make them perfect!

If you're near Monroe, WA, you're welcome to come check them out (I've seen a couple of SMBs in the last month near home). Mine are mounted on an RB window van (ex-12 passenger).

(I'm not affiliated with Eli in any way - just adding my review to the thread)

Cheers!
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #96
Site Team

For those of you that have removed the original awning brackets, what size holes are left in the van body? I'm finally ordering some butyl to back Eli's brackets, but still need to find some good plugs to fill the holes before I tackle the project.

Herb
Old 10-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #97

I think you want things as flat as possible, so as not to angle Eli's brackets out at the van body, which would angle the tops in towards the top.

I've had great results from aluminum tape with rustoleum over it, and that's on top of poorly prepared surface rust. See this thread for my description: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3671&hilit=tape

My feeling is you could do worse than aluminum tape, rustoleum, butyl, bracket... thus protecting the holes with the bracket itself.