Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #11

Donate it to, uh, the forum.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #12

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Actually, I have mine in the garage...will sell on craigslist this spring after a mild cleaning...too heavy to sell on eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I am wondering if SMB did some damage to the gutter. I now have a stance that I would delete the awning in the future on a new van. Hell maybe I will have one for sell soon off an old van. Crap! Believe it or not, a salesperson warned me about this. Big mistake on my part.
DaveB

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #13

Awning Brackets

Go to Fiama's web site and order the gutter braket mounts for the VW. The front one will need to be cut and welded to fit around the front door, but ohter than the slight mod, there are no holes drilled in the vans. I showed mine to SMB, but I guess that they would rather put holes in your vans and fix leeks. I am not the greatest at posting pics, but I could e-mail them if you want to see how mine mounts. I have an 11 foot awning.

Eli
2006 Transformer
Old 07-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #14

Time to resurrect this thread.

When cleaning up my van after our Alaska trip, I noticed I now have the body cracks caused by the awning bracket.

Eli, could you email pictures of the mounts you are using to phil@pacificventures.net? Are they working out well for you? If you could also provide the part number you ordered from Fiamma would be helpful.

Anyone with a recently delivered van that can send photos of the current mounts SMB is using?

Any other good awning mount solutions floating around out there??

Thanks -
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #15

I had Austin take off my awning. I started getting rust stains around the plate and in the constant salt air, I just couldn't stand the tension of it getting worse. Kevin treated the holes and then plugged them and then was kind enough to offer to sell it for me. It had never been unfurled in 5 months. No water inside even through Dolly.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Phil, SMB did re-mount mine and did a better job. Not the best but much better. At least the plate fits around the window now. I looked at the web site Eli posted and there are a few good mounts to consider if they will fit on our rigs with the PH tops. As I posted before, my concern about SMB’s repair is in how close the holes are to the edge of the plate. If water is able to penetrate around and/or under the plate the screw threads could be a way for water to get in. Vibration could be a problem and more support might help. As far as my repair, no water has entered (at least it hasn’t showed up where it was before) but I have not put the stress test to it. I just got back from a 3000 mile trip and never used the thing once. If I have any more problems with it I will consider removing it. Too bad there wasn’t an easy on/off mount. Personally, the only time I need it is when it’s hot. It works great as a shade and one of the reasons it’s still on. I wish that SMB would have designed the plate with at least ½ inch around the screws. It would be worth it to have a machine shop make the plates to follow the contour lines of the body. I plan to post some pics of the repair.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #17

Dave -

Please do post pictures of the re-repair by SMB. The pictures you posted of their first shot at it were less than impressive. Did they charge you for the fix or "warranty" it?

I really like having the awning. Especially after the Alaska trip I just took. I bet we used it at least 50% of the nights to provide some escape from the rain.

Thanks -
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #18

Fiamma Brakets

I am trying to post pics of my Fiamma braket fix. I am also in the process of havining them fabricated in quanity. The back braket is a stock Fiamma VW gutter mount. The front one has been coustomized. I am meeting with a guy next week to have them reproduced for the masses. I will post more when I have more.

Eli

[/img]
Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #19

Here are a few photos for you. The first is the original bracket (middle) mount showing a crack that developed after one trip. Granted that trip was Saline Valley Road which was 40 miles of heavy washboard, but still it shouldn't have happened. The next two are the replacement brackets that SMBW provided for no charge. (Especially since I had asked for them in my original build and it kind of slipped through the cracks so to speak.) I had seen pictures of Dave's original bracket and had told them I would not settle for that quality of work. These brackets were better. I need to clean up the sealant someday.

The brackets work quite well. I pulled and tugged on them, taken them on heavy washboards, and they significantly cut down on the vibration which was causing the cracks in the body. Liz had asked me if they SMBW should stop selling awnings on 4x4's. I said they should not go out of the door with the original brackets, they are just too flimsy for a 4x4 application.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #20
Site Team

Is the plate intended to just spread the load? I don't like that the plates are attached with Philips head screws. I'd rather see bolts and corresponding nuts on the inside.

Herb