Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2018, 03:44 AM   #11

Garage
Nice work well finished but for me, the real problem is the get the heat out of the engine bay, not to put more fresh air in it... I personally raised the back of VivaLaVida's hood to let part of the heat getting out along the windshield.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt View Post
... I personally raised the back of VivaLaVida's hood to let part of the heat getting out along the windshield.
Thats an interesting approach. Someone else on the Forum had remarked they removed a couple sections of the rubber weatherstripping that seals the area between the hood and the base of the windshield, So I mimicked that by removing the last 8" on each end, but it really didnt do enough to help the issue.
Curious though, if you raised the back of the hood, I assume that also means that the back half of the hood sticks up above the fenders. If you have one available, would love to see a picture of how that looks.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:24 AM   #13

I like the idea of getting the hot air out. I’ve seen the Range Rover fender vent grills installed on Sportsmobiles on this forum. Getting heat out through the back of the hood seems like a great location to naturally evacuate hot air that has been pushed into the engine compartment through the grill. I would imagine that venting both locations would really let the hot air move out.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #14

Garage
i removed the entire rubber weatherstripping from mine when i first got it to emulate raising the back of the hood up without actually having to have it misfit like a lot of the import car entheusists. wont say i really noticed any difference.

doesnt matter how badass the car (or van) is. this just doesnt look good to me.

this one is much more subtle, but it still draws my eyes right to it....

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #15

Here is a pic of the bottom of my hood showing the way the vent sits into it. It was just dumb luck that it was able to fit in the existing recessed area on the bottom of the hood.

There are recessed areas on each side of the hood to the left and right side of where the center vent is now located. I think they may be a good spot to add vents for air to exhaust.

Thanks for the idea of removing the weatherstripping in the back. I just took mine off and there is clearly a 1/2” gap (custom venting).
Attached Thumbnails
0FA17846-DD05-462C-BC21-5B2DACEAAD2A.jpg   299883C2-0986-4B1B-A647-75D34AE71A33.jpg  
Old 07-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #16

I think that looks pretty damn good. Great idea.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote