Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #1

The simple project of replacing your shore power receptacle

Let’s imagine, just for a moment that your day was going pretty well.
You were starting to pack for an upcoming Sportmobile trip, upgrading the gps maps, gather interesting trip files from the internet.

All was well until you realized that the kids were late for an appointment and the wife was gone with the other car. Leaping to your feet, you might imagine yourself yelling for the kids to hurry while calling the wife for directions and starting to ease the van out of the very snug garage. You would probably be halfway down the driveway when the slack on the extension cord runs out and you hear a crack and realize that you forgot to unplug the van from shore power.

How could you do something so boneheaded? Well, remember that if it weren’t for stupid mistakes, we may not make any mistakes at all.

In fact, this is a fairly minor problem as I determined on your behalf. Note that if you continue driving while plugged in, my statement may not hold true for you

A quick search on the internet shows the part number for the receptacle is Marinco 304EL-B, which is defined as a contoured 30A, 125V stainless steel receptacle.
Marinco is a boat equipment supplier and this is actually cataloged as a boat part.

There are similar parts such as the 303SSEL-B
http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xca..._SS_Inlet.html
Note that this isn’t quite the same as the screw hole layout is different from the OEM 30A 125V power receptacle.

I couldn’t find any of the contoured Marinco 304EL-B locally and so Peter at SMB West was able to get me one within 2 days under $50 which was cheaper than my other options.

Once it arrived, the removal and replacement took 20 minutes including the pictures. I’d compare it to changing a light fixture with easy access and beautiful parts.

De-installation of the broken part is trivial. It is held to the Ford body by 3 sheet metal screws in a triangular pattern.

The rear cover is held by 2 screws, one to hold the cover and one as a power cable restraint.

Once off, the wires are accessible.

Loosening three color coded screws will give you access to the wires.

Reversing the process is simple and quick. The only tool you need is a phillips head screwdriver.

Hopefully this will be an example of the cost of inattention and you won't experience it

Now, back to packing....

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: The simple project of replacing your shore power receptacle

Well, someone had to be the first, to admit it at least. I've ALWAYS worried that I'd do something like that. I need a "pilot's checklist" to go over each time.

Glad to hear it was a easy, if not humbling, fix.

Herb
Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #3

Don't feel too bad about it. Our "auto eject" chords on our ambulances and fire engines don't always eject. Sometimes they just end up on the apron and sometimes they even end up on scene.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Not that I'D ever do anything like that, but... I have a piece of blue masking tape that says "Unplug Shorepower" on it that lives on the breaker panel. When I turn the breakers on after plugging in the shorepower, I stick the tape to the steering wheel. Then put it back on the breaker panel when I unplug.
About 45 years ago, when I was just new to flying, I hand propped my new (to me) Aeronca Champ after untying the wings and got in and tried to taxi out of my tiedown with the tail wheel still firmly attatched to the tiedown cable. About ten million looky-lous and airport bums watched as I tried with my mighty 65 HP to tear a 1 inch tiedown anchor out of the tarmac. Check-lists; that's my point!
Bill
Old 03-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #5

This might seem like a boneheaded question ... but why 30A? I never run anything off the 110V in the van when plugged in except a vacuum cleaner. And, in any case, I'm plugged into 15A out the wall. Why not just replace the plug with a conventional 15A receptical and use a regular extension cord? Which is basically what the pig-tail adapter is ... ??

Philip
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdarst
This might seem like a boneheaded question ... but why 30A? I never run anything off the 110V in the van when plugged in except a vacuum cleaner. And, in any case, I'm plugged into 15A out the wall. Why not just replace the plug with a conventional 15A receptical and use a regular extension cord? Which is basically what the pig-tail adapter is ... ??

Philip
While 30A may be overkill for you and me, it isn't for the vans with microwaves and 2000W inverters. And SMB only has to stock and install one type of receptacle. And it is a twist-lok so the plug won't fall out accidently.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #7

One alternative to the chord dangling as you drive down the road is to install a self ejecting receptacle. When you start the engine the plug is ejected from the receptacle. They have them on fire trucks.

http://www.projectresponder.com/kuss...jector~131.htm
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

I have not had this happen, but it was certainly a worry. I had my wife make a small cloth sign that hangs from the steering wheel by a velcro strap.... it says UNPLUG VAN.

So then the key is remembering to put up the sign when you plug in.

So far it has been effective to avoid driving off when still plugged in.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
I have not had this happen, but it was certainly a worry. I had my wife make a small cloth sign that hangs from the steering wheel by a velcro strap.... it says UNPLUG VAN.

Great idea. Do you just keep the sign velcroed to the adapter cable when not in use?

Herb
Old 03-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

[quote=Bronco_hauler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Greg In Austin":1opj79xa

Great idea. Do you just keep the sign velcroed to the adapter cable when not in use?

Herb[/quote:1opj79xa]

That was the original plan,... but often it now lives in a little compartment under the radio.

...but connecting to the power cord is the right way to do it.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote