Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #1

Third Brake Light Problem

I had to disconnect the third brake light when routing wires for my rearview camera. When I got it all back together I discovered it didn't work. After many choice words for screwing up an easy task I started to look for the problem. It appears that I didn't check that the light was actually working before I disconnected the wires, actually I can't remember the last time I checked it (my bad). To get to the point, when I pulled the light I found it full of water, it appears that it was installed with the weep hole upside down. Of course it was a tad rusty and both bulbs were blown. Cleaned up the rust, got some new 921 bulbs and it was good to go. I believe that it should be installed with wire hole on the bottom, so water can drain out.

Greg

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #2

I had a brake light bulb burn out so today i checked this third brake light assembly also. During the rain storm. I opened the red cover and water poured out. The terminals are all rusty too. It's no wonder the damn bulb burned out. Guess i have work to do.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #3

I believe mine is/was upside down as well (weep hole at top) It has been a long time since I looked at it. I assumed the PO had put it in upside down.

Edit: also there were screws in to lens from backside, meaning the top had to be up to see or remove.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #4

Mine did the same thing. I changed the bulb knocked off some of the rust. Its working for now.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #5

Thanks for bringing this up! I looked into this issue with an installer and got some interesting information...

The light is most definitely designed to be mounted with the "weep hole" at the top. Well, it's not really a weep hole at all, it is just a hole that the wires are fed through. On the lense of the light there is actually an imprint showing "top" for mounting. You will also notice small holes at the top and bottom of the lense. These holes may be there for draining purposes, or just as a way to remove the lense. Being that these holes are rather small, I could imagine them getting clogged up and not being able to function as weep holes. Regardless, water does have a chance to get in the lense.

I also discovered that the light isn't installed that way just because the directions say so You will notice on the back side of the light that the area meant to be on top has a sharp 90 degree edge. The area meant to be on the bottom has an angled edge. If the light is installed upside down, there is a chance for that sharper corner to wear into the canvas of the top when the top is closed. This most likely wouldn't be noticeable immediately, but could cause wear problems down the road.

Solution = SMB will now be drilling three small holes into the bottom of the light to allow water to escape...one in the middle and one on each side. I urge any owner to do the same if this problem relates to your vehicle.

Thanks again for this information! Customer feedback like this is essential to allow the SMB products to constantly improve.
Sportsmobile West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #6

Why not choose a light that actually seals? Seems wrong that water gets inside in the first place.

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 12-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #7

Very good point! That is something that will be looked into. While this problem may have been around for a while, this is the first time that I have personally gotten word of this. I never knew that water was getting into those lights.

I just wanted to make sure that people with existing rigs didn't start flipping the light upside down, therefore wearing a hole into the canvas top. That's a much bigger issue than a blown bulb!

I just looked even closer at the light and noticed that both sides of the lense say "top". On the back of the light however, there is writing which would indicate which way the light is meant to be mounted. I am also pretty sure that the holes in the front of the lense are strictly there for removing the lense and not as weep holes.

Again, thanks for all the feedback!
Sportsmobile West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #8

Is it mandatory to have a 3rd brake light? Law wise?

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #9

John, thanks for the information and tips. You just gave me another project . I appreciate your feedback here.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #10

John,

Thanks for the great information on this issue. I am very pleased, as I am sure are many other here, that you are contributing to the forum. I think it is fantastic that you are interested in the problems we run into as owners and are willing to not only help us deal with them but to use this information to improve the design of future Sportsmobiles.

As soon as the snow and ice melts off of my van I will get out the drill and make some drain holes.

John