Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to kevdod
I am using Sharkbite PEX fittings and so far so good

I replumbed my spomo and went with Sharkbite brand quick connect and disconnect fittings for the PEX tubing. So far they have worked great! The best part is that you can connect and disconnect in about 5 seconds - makes it super easy to rough in the plumbing.

I have done some major washboards and some pretty rough 4x4ing and they have not leaked (yet...).

They are expensive, but I think well worth the savings in time and the flexibility they give you.

I know Home Depot is now stocking them, but I got mine at the local Ace.

K

Old 05-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #12

1/2" PEX pipe is carried by most hardware stores, fittings are a different issue for some reason. Lowes seems to have the largest selection of crimp-on fittings and the tools for a major chain.

This type of plumbing is often used in mobile homes as well as RVs, and our new house in SLC has been re-done with it by the prior owners.

When working on our van initially we rented the crimping tool for 10$/day at a plumbing & irrigation supply shop. Now that we have the house to deal with too, we just bought the tool kit at Lowes (crimper for 3/4" & 1/2", and a band cutter for when you want to re-use a fitting). For cutting the tubing we picked up a cheap 2$ rose-bush trimmer, and it slices like butter.

-e
Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #13

Re: Tools for the Water System

Bumping this to the top, for those of you who want to crimp vs. sharkbite, and don't want to carry or buy a large crimping tool, I just saw this:

http://toolmonger.com/2010/03/22/pex-po ... more-39256

Now THAT is all about compact, low(er) cost, and portability.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #14

I bought the 1/2" Pex crimping tool at Home Depot for ~$50

I also got a Pex compression ring remover for ~ $20
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanley
I bought the 1/2" Pex crimping tool at Home Depot for ~$50

I also got a Pex compression ring remover for ~ $20
Crikey, i gotta see what i have in the rig and get the tools
thanx guys
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #16

I bought the tools (Pex crimper/de-crimper/ring remover +/-$50 and tube cutter +/-$5) and have used them more than I would prefer.

They do work nice and finish well. The reason many stores no longer carry the parts is apparently due to Zurn/Pex requiring that someone at the shop go through a fairly extensive (and apparently pricey) training session before they "allow" you to carry their gear in your store. I suspect this is a result of the fact that its now a law that new development in homes is required to use their type of gear (as opposed to copper).

In any event, the Home Depot's in the PRK apparently don't carry it and now neither does Lowe's (at least I haven' found it).

Jage, if you need the tools just let me know and I'll mail them over to you for a spell. Its pretty idiot proof if I can pull it off. The fittings (elbows, T's, valves, etc) can definately be re-used and the crimp rings and other harware is pretty cheap (if you can find them).
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote