Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #1

Tools for the Water System

I need to work on the water system but at several different hardware stores I've gotten blank stares and then been directed to plumbing where there is nothing like what is in the van. I'm pretty sure the stuff is from irrigation systems or something, and I thought I could just waltz in anywhere and find it. No such luck.

So, could someone give a comprehensive list of tools and parts that are needed to disassemble, reassemble, or rebuild (change) the plumbing?

Old 04-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #2

It's standard 1/2" PEX tubing and fittings. The crimp tool is rather overpriced unless you are using it to make a living or have a big project. I just did some work on mine today and borrowed the tool from a fellow Sportsmobile forum member. He bought the tool, tube and fittings locally from Lowe's. Zurn is the brand there, but any 1/2" PEX that meets the standard works.

The tubing is used mostly in house plumbing and also radiant heat (another project I used the tool for today).

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #3

Home Depot is starting to stock thoes fittings & tools. The crimper is $150 but I wonder if you could rent this at a tool rental place? I need to do some work on mine & have been putting it off for that sole reason.
Good Luck Woot
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #4

½" PEX eh? I'm a big fan of having the right tool. But $150? That's going to require some noodling.

Does it remove the fitting too? Are the fittings reused or should I buy new ones?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #5

I haven't done this yet but from what I am seeing is the tool itself does the crimping of the bands at each fitting. I'm not so sure about the tool being used to cut the plastic tubing. I had planned to cut my tubing with a set of heavy duty shears anyway. Now the fitting should be reusable as long as you don't damage them during the removal of the old bands & plastic. I gather that once you get the tubing to length, put on a band, shove in the fitting & crimp the band tight.
This is how I understand the process to be done. If anyone else has something to add then tell us. As I'll be attempting this soon myself. Again you may try to rent the tool instead of buying one.
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #6

I know someone who found an RV repair place that would rent PEX crimpers. You could try that.

WOOT, you've got it right. There's even a little gauge tool to let you know if you crimped it correctly. And the fittings can all be reused. It's actually quite a nice system, and probably the wave of the future for home water distro as well, especially with the price rise in copper.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #7

I used a PVC pipe cutter to cut the PEX tubing and it worked pretty well. There is a handy band cutter in the kit to cut the bands off of existing fittings. Fittings are re-usable.

All in all, a pretty simple process with the proper tools in hand.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:11 AM   #8

fittings

I had begun receiving samples from various mfg's for "push-on" type fittings for the PEX tubing while I was at SMB. There were several types that looked promising, and if I remember correctly, the "Shark Bite" fittings looked good becuase of their temperature rating. http://www.pexsupply.com/CategoryPre.as ... 8&brandid=
Copro was another brand that looked good http://www.plumbingfittings.com/
I'm not sure if SMB decided to move forward on these, but they should really consider it.

A nice thing about these type of fittings is that they can be installed without any special tools. You might even want to keep a coupler with you in case you need to make a repair in the field. Most any RV store carries a cheaper plastic version, which will also work just fine at most areas. The fittings on the FlatPlate would need to be rated for higher temperatures than the plastic fittings are rated for.

I hope this helps!
John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #9

Garage
On my Hot water line where the plastic fitting screws onto the underside of the faucet it had cracked and was leaking a bit. At Home Depot the guy showed me one of the new push-on tool-free Pex fittings. the one I picked up was @ 8.00 and stainless steel and it also had a shut-off valve built in.

Install is a piece of cake.

-d

Old 04-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #10

Pex Tools

Jage,
I have a set of the Pex tools and most of the fittings., What do you need There is also a new Push lock fitting like the Shark Bite but Plastic. The Push locks are quite a bit Bulkier than the Zern Pex Fittings. There is also a Wirsbo Aqua Pex that uses another special Set of tools but is More Flexible for turns. Send me a Private Message on how to oobtain the suse of these tools.

Oldbonesclimber
Paul