Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #11

Re: Upgraded to 4" exhaust and NOT happy. HELP!

The stainless muffler by itself will increase the noise, its one of its properties ...

AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #12

I have a 7.3 with diamond eye 4" turbo back. The fte def cuts down the noise. Much more acceptable than before. Def worth the money. You'll still have some droning and cabin noise. What did you expect!?
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #13

Just wanted to give a little update on the issue I was having with my exhaust. We just did a 4 day trip from Oceanside to Yosemite, over to Mammoth area, and back home. I haven't gathered enough info yet to really say the MPG benefit of the exhaust but my initial readings are about 2 MPG improvement over stock.

After reading the posts and comments on the FTE resonator, and also seeing some positive YouTube videos on it, I decided to purchase one. I had a guy from work weld the resonator in place and he did a great job. I not have the resonator and straight through muffler. The FTE definitely dropped the drone from 0-55 MPH. It it drastically quieter in cab up to about 1800 RPMs. I highly recommend the FTE product for anyone with a 4" exhaust experiencing drone. I really appreciate the lead on the FTE product.

I still have a VERY noticeable and VERY loud drone above 55 mph and above 1800 RPM. I am going to go down to the exhaust shop this weekend and discuss possibly a different tip and doing something different with the location of the last 3-4 feet of exhaust. I feel it may be too close to the van body and also too far under the body itself. I also think the slightly larger tip may be causing some excess noise without any performance benefit.

I will post the results after I get wit him.
- Nick S. in Oceanside....1998 Ford Club Wagon Chateau HD, 7.3L PSD, 4" Turbo back exhaust. Still a 2wd van with 3.55 floating rear diff. Sitting with a 4" Weldtec Designs bent I-beam lift with Agile Offroad tuned Fox shocks. Still have baby tires (245s) but loving the van more and more each day.
nicksandvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:59 AM   #14

Glad it worked out. Fte is a must have with the 4" turbo back IMHO
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #15

Garage

I would also recommend putting sound deadening material on the driver and passenger doors. It drastically reduces cabin noise from experience.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #16

Its been a little now and I need to vent. I am completely frustrated with the noise level inside the van after doing this 4" exhaust. I have to figure something out because I do not have fun any more driving the van. I have done the following.

- Installed Rockford Fosgate deadskin throughout the floor of the van, inside the 2 front doors, and up 18" on the side walls behind the main cabin.
- Installed the FTE resonator and kept the full through muffler (Diamond Eye). The FTE had OK results from 1400 RPM down. Not really a difference above that level though.
- Changed the exhaust location to the rear passenger corner. Cut down the noise a little, not much though.
- Removed the tip so its just 4" pipe and nothing to create a "megaphone" situation. Did this at the same time as moving the tip location.

The van is VERY loud from 1750-2100 RPMs. It is not comfortable for myself or any passenger now. I've had 4 others in the van at once and each said it is WAY too loud. I would say it is 8-10x as loud as stock.

I took the owner of the shop for a ride and he says its just exhaust noise and recommends adding another muffler to it and removing the FTE resonator. I am not completely sold on this idea. The noise level outside the van is not really much louder than stock. I thought it might be the mounts but all the hangers have rubber isolators like stock. Any hangers they added are thick rubber strap. The noise comes from the back of the van. Most of the miles I put on this are highway miles with the cruise set at 70. You have to talk very loud to be able to converse with the passenger.

Something is going on here and I'm about to lose it.

What I am thinking my next move will be...
- Maybe they installed the muffler backwards? Have them take a look
- Maybe swap it out with a different brand. It is currently a Diamond Eye, I am thinking a 30" Magnaflow.

Other than that I am stuck. I am really bummed out. Is anyone in San Diego or Orange County and could recommend someone to check it out. Or want to meet up and see what you think?

I am so bummed as I was REALLY looking forward to the benefits of this upgrade. Please help.
- Nick S. in Oceanside....1998 Ford Club Wagon Chateau HD, 7.3L PSD, 4" Turbo back exhaust. Still a 2wd van with 3.55 floating rear diff. Sitting with a 4" Weldtec Designs bent I-beam lift with Agile Offroad tuned Fox shocks. Still have baby tires (245s) but loving the van more and more each day.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #17

I can't help but can sympathize. I have twice spent money on fancy 'upgrade' exhausts (not on a diesel) only to be totally frustrated with the noise, mostly highway drone for me. I eventually just put the stock stuff back on. Surely there are others out there who can give you a better exhaust to try if you wind up changing it out again, because I know you don't want to go back to stock and have lost all that money. Have you posted this same issue on FTE forums, Expo, Diesel Stop, etc?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #18

At this point I am seriously considering going back to the stock exhaust. The exhaust shop guys told me 7.3s typically get 2-4 MPG increase. I haven't seen any increase, although its been hot and I've been cranking the AC.

I did just post a thread on FTE....
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13372 ... st14683255

What do you think about wrapping the entire exhaust? I'm worried about longevity of doing this though running through snow, ice, rain, etc. How often would it have to be changed out?

As you can probably figure out, I'm pretty upset with myself for doing this in the first place. Why did I try to mess with a good thing????
Old 09-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #19

Nick: If you don't get responses in the FTE full size van forum, flag your own post and ask the moderator (or pm the moderator) and ask him to move it to the 7.3L PSD engine forum. Good Luck!
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I went with a magnaflow on a 4" with my 7.3, and it sounds like its quieter than your diamond eye from your description. Worth a try vs scrapping the whole thing?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote