Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 05:43 AM   #31

Re: Upgraded to 4" exhaust and NOT happy. HELP!

No doubt the quietest muffler will help (or resonator as mentioned by ocsmb in another thread), but apparently a larger diameter exhaust is louder, regardless of muffler (at least with a stock airbox/injector/turbo setup). There is an ongoing discussion about this subject right now at:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13389 ... haust.html

ocsmb: Curious why you are not recommending that nicksandvig try the:

http://www.ftediesel.com/store/pc/viewP ... category=7

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #32

^i did and he has but he's still not happy apparently. It worked for me.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #33

Hey Nick!

Don't beat yourself up over your "mistake." It is not a mod that hurts your vehicle. We have all made mistakes like that. One similar mistake caused me to take a more active involvement in the maintenance and repair of my vehicle(s). That's why my "social media" is here and over at FTE. My personal motto is 1. never to have anything done to my vehicle(s) if I can do it myself or 2. if I am relying on someone else to do it for me, to have read enough to know more than the person whom I am trusting to do the work.

Your SMB is your pony. So as to its care and feeding, research first, then trust if you have to, but then verify. There is no way around this paradigm in the car repair world unless you don't mind being taken and being disappointed. Your exhaust is ok for now. Learn to live with it for a while. Pledging to never let that happen again and knowing that you will be better off in the future with this learning experience under your belt.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #34

Hey guys. Really appreciate the input here. Want to give you all an update on the exhaust noise level issue I was having.

OSMB, The FTE cut down on the noise level below highway speeds, and was a good ad on for that. It doesn't work with my setup now but still, thanks for the suggestion.

E350, wow, thank you so much for the knowledge. Slow down, that tip helped BIG time.

I spent a lot of time thinking, researching, and talking to exhaust manufacturers about how to really quiet this thing down. I brought up the idea of going with an OEM style muffler, they all screamed when I did that. Being this far into the upgrade, it was highly recommended not to do that.

What I did end up going with was adding a second muffler to the system. I went with a 30" body Magnaflow with 4" in/out (part number 12773). Its a full through style muffler so I am able to keep the benefits of having the larger diameter muffler. I did keep the 24" body Diamond Eye that was initially installed, its a full through as well. So basically I now have 54" of muffler. Yep, 54".

My van is 2wd so with no transfer case there was enough room for both to fit in there. My wish is to hopefully go 4x4 (probably UJoint) one day, just have to figure out how to make more money in my occupation. Open to suggestions there as well, haha.

The sound level in the cab now is very acceptable to me. I'm still a little surprised at how much noise there still is with all the muffler under there. I can't imagine going 65 or 70 continuously with anything louder, it would kill me. Maybe my ears are sensitive, I am young so my hearing hasn't gone out yet, but I'm happy with what I have now. I still am going to research some more ways to quiet it down, but I think my options go more toward sound proofing the van moving forward.

My experience and troubles also made me not like the Diamond Eye muffler that is installed. Some day I will probably yank it out for the Magnaflow equivalent. I don't know if it really will do anything, but I just think it will make me feel better.

The FTE resonator no longer fits. I will put it for sale in the classifieds. Just cover the shipping costs and its yours.

I have been slammed at work and haven't had time to take any pictures of the install. I'm hoping to get some soon though. I'd like to show everyone.

I would also like to say even though this has been troubling to me, Warners Muffler in Oceanside did a great job. Their workmanship is top notch. They installed this new 30" muffler and were very helpful. Their goal is quality work and a happy customer, and I am one.

Also thanks again to EVERYONE who chimed in. Especially E350. I'm young and new-ish to this world. I'm LOVING all the info I am learning and seeing what people do to their van, as well as what they do WITH their van.

Will get some pictures up soon.
- Nick S. in Oceanside....1998 Ford Club Wagon Chateau HD, 7.3L PSD, 4" Turbo back exhaust. Still a 2wd van with 3.55 floating rear diff. Sitting with a 4" Weldtec Designs bent I-beam lift with Agile Offroad tuned Fox shocks. Still have baby tires (245s) but loving the van more and more each day.
nicksandvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #35

FYI: Resonator discussion on 4" exhaust:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13443 ... bator.html
Old 11-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksandvig
At this point I am seriously considering going back to the stock exhaust. The exhaust shop guys told me 7.3s typically get 2-4 MPG increase. I haven't seen any increase, although its been hot and I've been cranking the AC.

....cut.....
I hate to see stuff like this happen to anyone.

I would love to know how they justify an engine improving that much simply by reducing exhaust back pressure. Even if a van got 20 MPG prior to "upgrade", increasing to 22 or 24 MPG requires the engine to improve it's thermal efficiency significantly. By what means does the engine improve efficiency by 10 to 20 percent?

Based on what I learned in school I don't see this occurring at all. And I know some people will claim they have realized such improvements, but the skeptic in me will question such claims outright. It may increase maximum power some but at partial loads (like normal cruising) disconnecting the exhaust completely won't improve efficiency by 10 to 20 percent.

I figured those systems were sold to look cool, make noise, or make a little more power. I'm surprised they are also marketed for fuel economy. Certainly they won't hurt, but 10 to 20 percent improvement?
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:02 PM   #37

Bump. Check this out this new thread for anybody thinking about "upgrading" to a 4" exhaust:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...resonator.html