Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

Garage
Van Specialties Awning Brackets with Fiamma F45S

I have seen and been a participant in many threads regarding the SMB Fiamma brackets. I have seen threads that involve the Van Specialties brackets, but they all seem to be using the ARB or CVT awnings. Then I see the pic from another thread that shows the bolts from the VS bracket interfering with the rubber gasket on the PH Top over here http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...racket#p129614

I have a simple question, will the VS bracket work the right way with a Fiamma awning on a Ford E250 rain gutter without messing up the PH rubber molding or creating a conflict with the top when raised?

And by the way, this morning VS quoted me $175 plus shipping...
Thanks!

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #2

Re: Van Specialties Awning Brackets with Fiamma F45S

Assuming the VS brackets are a faithful reproduction of Z's, yes.. Mine have no problems (but I also trimmed bolts so as to not have any excess threads to get in the way.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #3

I don't think it's the type of awning used, they all will interfere if you don't cut the bolts down. Mine still interferes as my top is old and comes down a little off center sometimes. I'm pretty sure these awning mounts were originally intended for Fiamma awnings. If made for ARB/CVT (which I have) I'm pretty sure the brackets would be a couple inches shorter.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #4

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Assuming the VS brackets are a faithful reproduction of Z's, yes.. Mine have no problems (but I also trimmed bolts so as to not have any excess threads to get in the way.
I am trying not to assume as "it makes an ass of you and me" :0)
Some have said that they are the same, but I don't know of anyone that has had them both and can attest to that as a fact.

I would probably mount the bolts so that the nut is on the awning side of the bracket, and keep the bolt to the minimum length. That way the most interference you could have is from the hex head of the bolt alone. I might even consider using a button head bolt like this.

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old 11-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #5

That's a great idea, and it's what I wish I had done before my pop top weatherstripping got destroyed the first few times I used the awning. I did not expect interference. I have since trimmed my bolts but not reversed them due to the way my awning is made, but of course it isn't a Fiamma and I've never seen one up close.

Also, I for one, completely understand the risk of assumption but I looked at this long and hard and considered making my own brackets, or having them made, which I thought could be done for a lot less than the $150 Van Specialties charged me. Close comparison of all of the pics I could find show them to be exactly the same.

Van Specialties brackets I got (about 2 months ago, Summer 2014)

Z's brackets (best close up pics I could find on short notice, scroll towards bottom of post)

viewtopic.php?p=101804#p101804

If you haven't read that whole thread yet I would recommend it.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #6

Garage

Thanks Scotty. Yeah I have read the whole thread. I posted near the end as I arrived here long after the brackets were gone. I was very much interested in aquiring a set, I even tried to coax Zeta into either making more or allowing me to make some. I will probably buy a set from VS, but as is my way, I am doing my due diligence before investing about $200 in the brackets. I believe this is best done by trying to find someone with the same setup that I want to try. VS brackets on a ford van with a Penthouse Top and with a Fiamma awning.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

Old 11-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat
I would probably mount the bolts so that the nut is on the awning side of the bracket, and keep the bolt to the minimum length. That way the most interference you could have is from the hex head of the bolt alone.
Exactly. I was smart enough to install it like that, but not smart enough to remember that I installed it like that.. Flip the bolts, making trimming the excess threads much easier too.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat
I would probably mount the bolts so that the nut is on the awning side of the bracket, and keep the bolt to the minimum length. That way the most interference you could have is from the hex head of the bolt alone.
Exactly. I was smart enough to install it like that, but not smart enough to remember that I installed it like that.. Flip the bolts, making trimming the excess threads much easier too.

Now if you exchange a button head bolt (like the one you used on the top of the bracket) for the hex head on the bottom you would have a very low profile bracket assembly! Then if the PH gasket contacts the lower button bolt head it would likely do much less damage than the hex version.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

Old 11-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #9

How would you get an Allen wrench down on the bottom bolt to tighten it up?

I bought a pair of Z-brackets a year or so ago and haven out them in yet. Started messing with the front one, but it seemed like it needed some customizing so I gave up until later (a later that hasn't come yet!).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
How would you get an Allen wrench down on the bottom bolt to tighten it up?

I bought a pair of Z-brackets a year or so ago and haven out them in yet. Started messing with the front one, but it seemed like it needed some customizing so I gave up until later (a later that hasn't come yet!).
With the top up there is plenty of room, if I recall correctly.