Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #1

Warn M12000 - Aluminess install

I will keep this post updated.

1. Follow this document to convert M12000 so it will fit into bumper and to be foot mounted
(pls contact Aluminess for any questions http://www.aluminess.com/about.htm)

this picture shows the winch with all the changes completed - NOTE FOUR MAIN BOLT HOLES ARE FACING DOWN, not forwards:

Notes:
a) rotate motor 180 deg - this is really straightforward, you need a 13mm wrench
b) re-index gearbox - the doc says it must be moved 1/3 turn, it is more like 1/5 of a turn, or 2/10 holes (see pictures)

c) mount solenoid box with the W upside down, and rotated forward so it clears the door. I tried to mount mine as close to vertical (but still kicked forward) otherwise the box of the solenoid box will hit the lid

detail of my solenoid wire routing:

d) careful with moving the cross brace rod --- make sure you put a piece of rubber or something to protect it when you hold it with pliers, I gouged mine a little because my pliers cut through the cloth I used which was folded double

2. I used two bolts at the rear - you're connecting into the rear plate which connects to the frame rails, definitely adding a lot of strength here. I used one washer on each side, between the winch and the back of the bumper box, and then installed the four bolts/washers from below. If you use anti-sieze as recommend in the instructions (given how much hassle I had with the old winch, I used it) be aware that this will impact your torque wrench readings, don't accidentally overtighten!

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:16 AM   #2

Re: Warn M12000 - Aluminess install

The positive cable was a bit short on my install, just something to keep an eye on.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #3

Thanks for the pic's.

The mod process looks pretty simple and straight forward.

I'm still trying to decide on which winch to purchase. The Warn M12000 install looks pretty simple. It might be a little more complicated to install the SuperWinch Talon 12.5 SR. Remote locating the solenoids on the SuperWinch may require making new cables.

Thor is out of the shop for another week and I still haven't been able to talk to him about the two winches. I did get a forwarded e-mail from him where he answered some of my questions. He prefers the SuperWinch. Something to do with the stronger planetary gears and the location of the brake being more synthetic rope friendly.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #4

More pics:

fairlead roller with Viking delrin rollers, and 2 coats of Rustoleum American Accents (?) Canyon Black, color recommended by Aluminess. Note I transferred the warning sticker

with synthetic rope installed, I got the thimble and the bumper so you can snug it up:

I still need to zip tie the cables, see if I can get a bit more length on the positive, and load up the line per the Warn instructions.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #5

Where did you attach the + and - ?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Directly to van battery --- cables go out thru rectangular slot in back of bumper, under radiator and up next to battery.

On the winch, + goes to a terminal in the solenoid box, and - goes to the "motor ground" terminal on the backside of the motor. (the winch comes with the power cables connected to the correct places)

Old 12-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #7

Warn M12000 - Aluminess install

Nice looking install. Good way to finish out the year.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Directly to van battery --- cables go out thru rectangular slot in back of bumper, under radiator and up next to battery.

On the winch, + goes to a terminal in the solenoid box, and - goes to the "motor ground" terminal on the backside of the motor. (the winch comes with the power cables connected to the correct places)
I did almost the same, except ground is connected directly to the battery (-). Which I'm pretty sure the instructions from warn said to do? I do remember it stating not to ground to the chassis. I actually routed the leads through the rectangular slot below the pass-side headlight, then up behind the headlight.

I did end up upgrading to optimas, because I wasn't happy how fast battery output dropped when doing a full-load pull, even with the motor running.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb

I did end up upgrading to optimas, because I wasn't happy how fast battery output dropped when doing a full-load pull, even with the motor running.
One of the reasons I upgraded the alternator. My winch caused the computer to throw a code when I was jerking some guy out. I forgot to rev the engine but at that time I also had the crummy Ford batteries that came with the van.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #10

Yes at the battery end both cables connect directly to the battery as per the instructions.