Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #11

Re: Warn M12000 issues

This winch is freaking killing me.

I bought new roller shafts for the fairlead, mine were very rusty and I had ordered delrin rollers for synthetic line from Viking.

So I get the roller shafts, the vertical one fits but the horizontal one doesn't! I had already thrown the rusty ones out. The shaft is probably 1/4" to 3/8" too short. The rollers fit fine, as do the vertical shaft.

So I called Warn. They were like "well we only make one replacement shaft length for the M12000 fairlead, and you probably have that one year where they were different. Sorry it doesn't fit. Why not buy a new fairlead?"

Well, I've already bought new rollers, new shafts, and sandblasted and painted the bracket. Thinking about it, I'm not even sure if the bracket was narrower that the Viking rollers would fit. They also don't sell a replacement bracket.

I'm down to either buying a new Fairlead ($135 ish) and hoping the Viking rollers fit, or getting some shafts the correct length turned up.

I'm trying really hard not to throw this winch out. It basically works. I can afford a new winch but I'd rather spend my money on some additional item, not replacing something that basically works.

And I've made no progress on the stuck bolts.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Best advice is to hold tight, and keep your eyes open on the classified ad section on ExPo, and on eBay.

Me, I've got a fairlead off a 9000lb Superwinch I can't seem to give away at something like $35, or whatever I was last asking. Mine wouldn't work for you, but there are probably people looking to get rid of a fairlead, though being for a 12,000lb winch will make it a little tougher.

Herb
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #13

I didn't realize fairleads were rated. I'm running one from a 9000 lb warn on a 12000 lb mile marker... is that bad? Is it bad when you have cable impressions in the fairlead?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Is it bad when you have cable impressions in the fairlead?
No. It means you actually use your rig. When I see a big jacked up pickup on shiny mud terrains.... The virgin fairlead rollers is proof they're just a poser. (missing front driveshaft is a pretty good giveaway too).
Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #15

OK, Amazon has the Warn M12000 12v (#17801) for $988 (after $50 coupon). I pulled the trigger, that's a crazy price, best I had seen was in the $1200-1300 range. I get a new fairlead out of it too. I can put the new steel cable on my old winch and sell it as a fixer upper.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote