Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #1731

ExtremeAire

I decided to replace my ExtremeAire compressor, which had never worked quite right.

The original ExtremeAire "High Output" installed by Sportsmobile would frequently blow the 85 AMP fuse (I eventually just bypassed this) and occasionally also blow the 100 AMP breaker. It would sometimes (getting worse over time to be "almost always") not start up when I hit the switch -- I'd just hear a "clunk!", and when I switched off I'd hear a funny quick whirring sound -- as if the motor spun a few revolutions. Switching on & off multiple times would eventually get it started, but one of these days I'm sure it would stop for good. Here is my nice fuse bypass:

Since I love airing down, and airing up takes so long, I decided to upgrade to the ExtremeAire "Magnum" compressor. It's only a little larger, and fits in the original install location. I also upgraded my air tank from 2 gallon to 4 gallon. I'm not sure if this will end up being useful, but I found in the past that it would take two 2-gallon tankfuls to fill each of my tires. The new 4-gallon tank required a new mounting hole to be drilled to make it fit in the old location.

Here are old & new before install. The new compressor has a nice air cleaner cover that should help keep the mud off; the old was just exposed foam.

Just to be complete, I also replaced the old solenoid.

I also upgraded the power wire from 6 AWG to 4 AWG.

Here's my final install. The funny bundle attached to the compressor is 30" of high temperature air hose that ExtremeAire specified should be installed at the compressor output (after the one-way valve) to cool the air before it goes into other air hoses.

--Geoff

Old 02-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #1732

Garage
LED Lighting

Changed out my two reading lights and the fluorescent lights above the counter/sink and the main fluorescent light on the ceiling up front with LED bulbs and LED strips.

I've had conversations with REF and 86Scotty in the past and most recently with Skyrat. Skyrat sent pictures of his mods and I pretty much followed what he did. He even sent links to the Amazon page where he bought his bulbs and strips. Thanks everyone! Your input was very useful. Should have done this a long time ago.

Solar is going on the penthouse roof this week.

Mike
Old 02-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #1733

Garage
Need pics Mike!

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #1734

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRyan View Post
Thanks everyone! Your input was very useful. Should have done this a long time ago.

Solar is going on the penthouse roof this week.

Mike
It was a pleasure speaking with you and I am glad it is working out for you Mike.
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #1735
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
...Just to be complete, I also replaced the old solenoid....

--Geoff
I hope you used a 100% duty cycle solenoid, and not a starter solenoid. Most starter solenoids are rated for a fairly small duty cycle, where a compressor can run full time for an extended period of time.

Herb
Old 02-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #1736

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexGX View Post
Need pics Mike!

TexGX
Waymon, I didn't take any pictures! Skyrat sent me such goods ones, I just did what he did. Maybe tomorrow, or sometime, I'll take the covers off and snap a few. Real easy to make the change out, especially the bulbs!

It's been a while since I soldered anything. The first one took a little longer but the other two were a breeze.

Thanks again Skyrat!

Mike
Old 02-07-2016, 04:15 AM   #1737

Garage
No problem. I did most of mine a while back and agree it was well worth it. I still have a few others to do.
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I hope you used a 100% duty cycle solenoid, and not a starter solenoid. Most starter solenoids are rated for a fairly small duty cycle, where a compressor can run full time for an extended period of time.
Yes. I didn't trust my knowledge to get just any old solenoid, so I bought the one sold by Extreme Outback with their other compressor-related parts:

100 Amp Relay Part# 002-103 $29.95 Continuous Duty Relay

-- Geoff
Old 02-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #1739

[QUOTE=geoffff;168879]I decided to replace my ExtremeAire compressor, which had never worked quite right.

The original ExtremeAire "High Output" installed by Sportsmobile would frequently blow the 85 AMP fuse (I eventually just bypassed this)

No doubt you know this, but others might not. Bypassing the fuse is just asking for a fire. I'm sure you were watching the wiring closely when you did this, but its still a risky move. Not recomended practice. New install looks quite professional, good job.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #1740

[QUOTE=arctictraveller;168998]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
I decided to replace my ExtremeAire compressor, which had never worked quite right.

The original ExtremeAire "High Output" installed by Sportsmobile would frequently blow the 85 AMP fuse (I eventually just bypassed this)

No doubt you know this, but others might not. Bypassing the fuse is just asking for a fire. I'm sure you were watching the wiring closely when you did this, but its still a risky move. Not recomended practice. New install looks quite professional, good job.
I would not have bypassed the fuse had the circuit breaker not also been there in line.

-- Geoff
geoffff is offline   Reply With Quote