Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #2251

Replaced the starter solenoid. Starting issue had me pretty confused with the voltage drop and the starter checking out as ok

simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #2252

Finally got some work done, and now I will have cruise control!

Finally got a break in the weather and got the headlight and headlight support back in place. I have been driving it for a week now and started working on a few other small things. I removed all the rear panels as well, I still have to take out the head liner but all the side panels are out.
My project today was to replace the cruise control buttons. I got them off Amazon and they are actual Motorcraft buttons. When I called a shop to see how much it would be to get them replaced I was quoted 350-400.00! The parts is under 110.00 and it took me about 20 minutes to change them out.

Here is what it looked like when I started:

First thing to do is disconnect the negative battery cable. There are a lot of reports about air bags going off when they are removed. I ran a towing company for years and we messed around with a lot of airbags and they were actually quite difficult to go off unless they are properly triggered. With that being said obviously be careful and be sure and disconnect the battery cable but don't let worry about the airbag scare you from doing this it is a really simple job.

Here are the tools I used:

5/16 Socket (1/4 drive is best because the holes in the steering cover are small.)
Socket extension
Ratchet
5/16 Box wrench (ratcheting is nice) Used to disconnect battery cable
Leatherman Surge ( I carry this all the time, I used the knife to carefully pry the release clip on the red connector. The small scissors are also very nice for trimming the ends off the zip ties.)
Zip Ties (Only need 4 but I bought an assortment.)

Pop the small covers off of each side of the steering wheel.

After the covers are off remove the small 5/16 bolt behind each cover these are the only bolts holding the airbag in. After that tip the airbag forward and remove the two connectors. There are videos showing how to do this without unplugging it, but it is very difficult to work around it. It is much better in my opinion to just unplug them.

After it is out this is what you will have:

Just cut all the zip ties and then lightly pry the old buttons out. They are just held in by clips that push into the steering wheel. Then just lay in the new wires, and then snap in the new buttons and plug it back in. I used Blue and yellow zip ties since that seemed to match the wire color scheme

After that just plug the airbag back in and set it back into the steering wheel. The four posts that stick up make sure it is aligned very well with where the bolts will go back in. Just replace the two bolts and covers and then reconnect your battery cable.

I would suggest starting the vehicle by sitting in the passenger seat just in case the airbag decides to deploy. As I mentioned this is a very small probability but just to be safe. If the airbag doesn't go off when you first turn on the ignition then you are back in business with a cruise control that works again.
Hopefully the photos show how simple this is, not a very complicated project at all.
www.DirkMitchell.com
Dirk Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #2253

Garage
Wallas Stove Installation, Part 1

I started work on the installation of my Wallas Nordic Dt stove/heater. The cabinet that I am installing it in is 2" too narrow, so figuring out the installation has been entertaining.

This weekend, I built a mockup of the cabinet and mounted the stove in it. I'm glad I did the mockup, as it is allowing me to sort out all of the extra details due to the too-small space.

It looks like I am going to be able to make it work. I still have a few things to figure out, but so far, so good. I really like the stove. It looks great in the mockup. I'm really looking forward to actually dropping it into place for real.

With the lid up, it is a diesel-fired ceramic cooktop.

With the lid down, it is a heater.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:01 AM   #2254

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
I started work on the installation of my Wallas Nordic Dt stove/heater. The cabinet that I am installing it in is 2" too narrow, so figuring out the installation has been entertaining.

This weekend, I built a mockup of the cabinet and mounted the stove in it. I'm glad I did the mockup, as it is allowing me to sort out all of the extra details due to the too-small space.

It looks like I am going to be able to make it work. I still have a few things to figure out, but so far, so good. I really like the stove. It looks great in the mockup. I'm really looking forward to actually dropping it into place for real.
I had a Wallas in the cabin of my C-Dory. Loved that thing! Once you get over the sticker shock, it's the best thing since sliced bread. Enjoy!
Old 03-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #2255

Dirk, that's an awesome write up on a great fix for older or high mileage vans. Could you post that as thread by itself in the Ford section so others can benefit? I'm afraid it will probably get lost here.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #2256

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Mitchell View Post
I would suggest starting the vehicle by sitting in the passenger seat just in case the airbag decides to deploy. As I mentioned this is a very small probability but just to be safe. If the airbag doesn't go off when you first turn on the ignition then you are back in business with a cruise control that works again.
Solid advice here
Old 03-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #2257
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Dirk, that's an awesome write up on a great fix for older or high mileage vans. Could you post that as thread by itself in the Ford section so others can benefit? I'm afraid it will probably get lost here.

Eric it's also on the sites Projects/mods/issues section under Ford Series Cruise Control
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ent-19073.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #2258

Got new tires installed on Saturday morning.. which then quickly led to removing, cutting, welding, painting and reinstalling fenders Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

315/75-16 vs. 285/75-16
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #2259

[QUOTE=rallypanam;198298]Got new tires installed on Saturday morning.. which then quickly led to removing, cutting, welding, painting and reinstalling fenders Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

I didn't think there was much left to cut. How about a photo?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #2260
Site Team

Garage
Wow, I've never done a side by side. No wonder my van looked like S#!t with the 285's after the Deaver springs.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote