Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #2451

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
On the passenger side, adapted the Sienna seat to a Ford seat swivel mount. On the drivers, side adapted a stock seat mount.
Awesome! Thanks for taking over as the new Sienna seat guy. Inquiries should start rollin' in soon. Especially after someone posts these pics on Expo and Facebook.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #2452

Spent 2+ hours scrubbing 5,000 miles of accumulated bugs and grime off my van after just getting back from our five-week trip this weekend (report to come when I get back into real life...). Those of you in the midwest should see a marked decline in bothersome insects over the next few weeks, as we have most of them on the front of our van :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #2453

Oil change, tire rotation, recalibrate Hella Tire Pressure Monitor system, and checked lug nuts with the torque wrench. Ready for the next road trip!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #2454

New stereo

I removed the 2006 era DVD player, complete with DVD stuck in it since 2010, the extra XM radio box, the extra nav box, 2 antennas, the remote alarm/starter that had no remaining working remotes and all its extra boxes from under the dash:

This is actually the second alarm in the van, it seems to be cheaper to buy a whole new set up instead of just the remotes. I think I used the remote start feature like once, ever. So I switched back to the stock Ford remotes which are all over eBay for $12 each, and will probably be much more reliable.

I installed a Sony XAV-XAV100 receiver, this does only radio, USB, bluetooth and CarPlay, so no moving parts. It was also tiny compared to the old DVD receiver, so much easier to install. It seems to play everything I've put on a USB stick so far, and as a plus the UI seems to be designed for adults, it doesn't flash or pulse, just a few simple icons.

And finally, a keypad to unlock the van, installed inside the passenger windshield:

I had one of the Ford keypads installed, but it wasn't that reliable after a few years, we'll see if this one is better. The price was right, $67 at amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HV5FZAG It was easy to install, all the wires you need to connect are in the passenger footwell on the cable that runs into the door.

Tad
tadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #2455

Did you get a whole new steering box? Was it off the shelf ready or custom? I have teh same setup and the slop is....mmmmmm.....noticeable!
plaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #2456

Had it towed to the shop after the starter crapped out. There goes the helper springs money.

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #2457

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Had it towed to the shop after the starter crapped out. There goes the helper springs money.

Fuel filter
Air filter
Oil filter
Oil
Starter
Jerry can of gas
Toolbox of tools
Battery terminal connectors
Jumper cables
12v air compressor
Ratchet straps
Heavy gauge wire

These are things I keep in my van, or at least try to.
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #2458

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Fuel filter
Air filter
Oil filter
Oil
Starter
Jerry can of gas
Toolbox of tools
Battery terminal connectors
Jumper cables
12v air compressor
Ratchet straps
Heavy gauge wire

These are things I keep in my van, or at least try to.
Well, I carry about half of that stuff haha. I'm just glad it happened while I was at work and not out in the woods. Hopefully this one will last 100,000+ miles like the old one did. I had a "click" start a couple weeks ago but didn't think much of it...until today. Was able to get it to my regular shop so that's a plus.

Very glad I have AAA Premier RV. First truck just came for a jump attempt and was too small to tow me after that failed. Second truck from the same company double checked my Premiere RV status before hooking me up.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #2459

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Bummer, but at least you weren't 50 miles off road. In the future, if this happens again, often times you can simply tap the starter with a hammer and get several more starts. When that stops working, you can have someone hold the key in the start position while you tap the starter. You might get one or two more starts that way. What normally happens is that the brushes wear out and stop making contact. Tapping the starter jars them loose a bit so they make contact for a while. That trick may get you out of a remote location.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #2460

The tapping of the starter is a great tip. Also, if it doesn't even click, like the solenoid is shot, you could jumper the contacts with some heavy gauge wire. Just wear glasses and be careful as the wires will be hot(both electrically and physically).
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote