Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #2741

New starter. I had been having trouble getting it so start when the engine was hot. Thought it might have been the 3 year old battery and swapped it out a few days ago, but alas that was wasted money. Finally just quit turning over today. Put a new starter in and off to the races. New one is so quiet compared to the old one that it makes me a little nervous. At least it didn't give out on our recent trip to Rushmore and Custer SD. Quit in the driveway at home.

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #2742

added Yakima crossbars to roof

Back in May I posted about the Yakima ShowCase cargo box that I won at the local RackAttack. I've been enjoying having the added cargo carrying space, but with the cargo box mounted on the roof rack that came with my GTRV camper conversion, I didn't have room to carry my kayak too.

Monday I added Yakima crossbars to the "factory" rails to remedy that situation. The old bars didn't extend past the rails, while the new ones do, giving me more width to work with. I haven't put the boat up yet, but at least I have the space to do so now!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180806_172201.jpg  
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #2743

Automatic tire inflation

I have spent plenty of time kneeling on rocks and gravel while holding an air chuck to the valve stem of my tires while re-inflating them. I find it uncomfortable at best and painful at worst, so that got me to thinking, how do I automatically inflate my tires hands free. So, an air pressure regulator set to my desired tire pressure, and an inflation chuck that stays attached to the valve stem might just be the ticket. I had a cheap inflation chuck that wouldn't stay attached, so I found a better one on Amazon, along with the regulator. Now, I attach the chuck to the valve stem, and the compressor inflates the tires while I hang out in the shade. When the pressure in the tire equals the regulator setting, the air stops flowing, and the compressor shuts off.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6406.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #2744

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Now, I attach the chuck to the valve stem, and the compressor inflates the tires while I hang out in the shade. When the pressure in the tire equals the regulator setting, the air stops flowing, and the compressor shuts off.
Nice! Same issue here. I didn't know these regulators existed!

I'll probably want to get two of these, as I run different front/rear tire pressure.

-- Geoff
Old 08-09-2018, 06:05 AM   #2745

Garage
Quote:
I have spent plenty of time kneeling on rocks and gravel while holding an air chuck to the valve stem of my tires while re-inflating them. I find it uncomfortable at best and painful at worst, so that got me to thinking, how do I automatically inflate my tires hands free. So, an air pressure regulator set to my desired tire pressure, and an inflation chuck that stays attached to the valve stem might just be the ticket. I had a cheap inflation chuck that wouldn't stay attached, so I found a better one on Amazon, along with the regulator. Now, I attach the chuck to the valve stem, and the compressor inflates the tires while I hang out in the shade. When the pressure in the tire equals the regulator setting, the air stops flowing, and the compressor shuts off.
Well done Jeff. Have the same kit but installed two hoses to inflate both rear or front tire together... ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
Nice! Same issue here. I didn't know these regulators existed!

I'll probably want to get two of these, as I run different front/rear tire pressure.

-- Geoff
You can adjust pressure on the regulator, so you don't need to buy two.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:10 AM   #2746

After camping near Goldfiield, I spent Sunday getting a towtruck jumpstart, limping my van 200 miles from Tonopah Nevada, to Las Vegas, 'hot swapping' $175 batteries along the way (tow yard had 2 on hand to sell me), then changing out the alternator in a Las Vegas O'Reiley's parking lot. It was 108 degrees. My fiance' HAD to be at work Monday. We rolled into our driveway at 5:30am Monday. No, I took not a single picture

Hey, at least the batteries now have a full charge
Old 08-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #2747

Quote:
Brilliant! I’m having one of those “why didn’t I think of that” moments. Thanks for sharing, that’s on my list for the weekend.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt View Post
Well done Jeff. Have the same kit but installed two hoses to inflate both rear or front tire together
That's an even better idea
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #2749

Quote:
Have the same kit but installed two hoses to inflate both rear or front tire together... ;-)
Great idea!

Quote:
You can adjust pressure on the regulator, so you don't need to buy two.
I haven't worked with regulators before, but yes I think I can understand now how it wouldn't be difficult to use only one regulator. The gauge will show the output pressure when not inflating, so I should be able to easily turn the dial to select a desired pressure (in the hose end), and then start inflating.

-- Geoff
Old 08-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #2750
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
After camping near Goldfiield, I spent Sunday getting a towtruck jumpstart, limping my van 200 miles from Tonopah Nevada, to Las Vegas, 'hot swapping' $175 batteries along the way (tow yard had 2 on hand to sell me), then changing out the alternator in a Las Vegas O'Reiley's parking lot. It was 108 degrees. My fiance' HAD to be at work Monday. We rolled into our driveway at 5:30am Monday. No, I took not a single picture

Hey, at least the batteries now have a full charge
At least it wasn't Barstow!