Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #2751

Nowhere. Near. Barstow.

Not terribly exciting, but my wife picked up a 24" bow saw that will now live in the van. We came across a downed oak tree on a shelf road in the forest last month that got us thinking. I sized it up, and was comfortable that it would NOT drag the van over the side if it started to go, so I hooked a strap to it and drug it backwards with the van, up a slight incline, until it was parrallel with the road. If the situation had been different, we may have had to back up a loooong way, and abandon our original destination. The bow saw is plan B for that, as well as the few times I've had to clear low hanging limbs to get the van and/or our box trailer to our favorite camp spots.

TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #2752
Wbp

Added 2 rear leaf springs

Ordered a set of add-a-leafs from WeldTec. I had Installed a 2" lift to front awhile back but never installed rear blocks. So I decided to add the two leafs from Jerome to lift the rear end and give it more support due to added weight of built and hauling my bike or boat around. The leafs add about 2 1/2" of lift which matches the front now. Ran to the mountains last week and towed the boat to the keys this week it ran great. Very happy with the addition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	22214
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:34 PM   #2753

Must be spring day!

Out with the old...

In with the new (to me)

My van spent a few hard winters in MN and it shows.
Went on a test run, suspension was fine but transmisssion started to act funny. I think the torque converter started to lockup and unlock at random. Tried to back into my driveway and it slammed in hard to reverse and stalled the motor. Threw trouble codes P0742 & P0743. I think I have my project for next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
E7CC575F-FC94-4F0F-8ACD-D6B347E4B1E6.jpg   0879D1D4-0A78-4372-BADF-7ED96088E179.jpg  
Czar308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #2754

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
After camping near Goldfiield, I spent Sunday getting a towtruck jumpstart, limping my van 200 miles from Tonopah Nevada, to Las Vegas, 'hot swapping' $175 batteries along the way (tow yard had 2 on hand to sell me), then changing out the alternator in a Las Vegas O'Reiley's parking lot. It was 108 degrees. My fiance' HAD to be at work Monday. We rolled into our driveway at 5:30am Monday. No, I took not a single picture

Hey, at least the batteries now have a full charge
After reading your post, and needing a jump while boondocking last weekend, yes someone drove by, I replaced my under charging Alternator at home today, so I wouldn't have to reenact your story sometime. Like others, I had to swap pulleys.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0094.jpg   IMG_0095.jpg  
Fool120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #2755
MSD

Garage
Finally after more than two years and installing lots of tops for others I found the time to install our top. now to finish out the interior
Attached Thumbnails
512D85A5-26A9-4854-B273-CEB1E34827CE.jpg  
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #2756

Garage
Taxed my mechanical skills today. Vehicle "rattles" drive me nuts (wife says OCD, but the voices in my head disagree). No issues whatsoever inside, but I could hear a couple outside; Identified Tow shackles & Awning.
Placed 3 Velcro straps across the awning

bought large & medium rubber washers for each side of the shackles (needed two to fill in the gaps), and also secured the shackles against the bumper using a 12" bungee cord...

Now - Peace of mind!
Old 08-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #2757

I have some rattles in our van that are driving me crazy. It a squeaky rattle so I assume somewhere in the cabinetry. I have tightened all fasteners I could get a tool on so I'll take a drive soon and see if they are gone.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #2758

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
I have some rattles in our van that are driving me crazy. It a squeaky rattle so I assume somewhere in the cabinetry. I have tightened all fasteners I could get a tool on so I'll take a drive soon and see if they are gone.
Agreed. Hoping to chase these down this weekend.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:47 AM   #2759

Wrapped the exhaust between the muffler and catalytic converters. I used a whole 50' roll and ordered another to go from the cats to the manifolds. Then it's additional shielding on the underside. Trying to cut down on the heat soak into the van, the floors get hot and radiate heat long after we've parked.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #2760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogs View Post
Trying to cut down on the heat soak into the van, the floors get hot and radiate heat long after we've parked.
I'm trying to decide if that's a good or bad thing. In winter I really like it, not so much in summer though. I'm thinking about additional insulation on the floor that I can remove in winter.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote