Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #1741
Site Team

Garage
As long as that circuit can handle the original load and newly added load combined there shouldn't be an issue. Always important to read the amperage and make sure the current stays within the wire/breaker specs.
I do not like having wires run through sharp metal without some kind of sheath. I've spent a lot of time under the van looking at the wiring with split hose and zip ties in hand. When it enters a void what can you do. I have a similar issue going on with the backup lights...fuse keeps blowing but the manual switch still lights em up. If the wire runs in the body, I'll be better off running a whole new circuit.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #1742

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I do not like having wires run through sharp metal without some kind of sheath. I've spent a lot of time under the van looking at the wiring with split hose and zip ties in hand. When it enters a void what can you do.
I've been also doing a lot of that recently too! After 12 years of Baja and other washboard driving, I can see and feel the wear on the wires and hoses where they have been rubbing. Any evidence of rubbing, and I add corrugated sheathing. After getting a wire started, I can sometimes feed the corrugated sheathing up some distance into the unseen parts of the van.

-- Geoff
Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 PM   #1743

Since I won't see my new used SMB for a few weeks, I can't do anything to it so I'm just doing things for it - which means beginning to put together some of the things that were in the old one when it was stolen.

So far, I've put together a fairly complete set of SAE tools from existing stock I had at home, full set of cookware/silverware, water hoses, camp chairs, and a bunch of other little stuff like fire extinguisher, leather gloves, duct tape, WD40, flashlights, etc.

Once you really sit down and think about it, it's a lot of stuff.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:58 AM   #1744
Site Team

Garage
Well at least you know what you want and will use. Glad to hear you're getting back on the road.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #1745

Garage
Solar

I had a solar panel and controller installed today.

I have a friend who owns an RV and Marine dealership so I bought a kit from him and had his shop install it today. It's a 160 watt GoPower panel and 30 amp PWM controller. Had the panel mounted on the front of the penthouse roof. This allows me plenty of room to haul kayaks and paddle boards. It will shade some of the panel if I'm hauling the kayak but I don't always have the kayak with me.

The controller was mounted on the right side of the little shelf that sits above the sink and counter in a '50' layout.

No pictures Waymon (TexGX), that will have to wait! Just excited to have solar!

The tech did a great job and everything looks good. I'm now part of the solar crowd! Yay!!

Mike
Old 02-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #1746

Garage
With out pictures, it did not happen. Interested to see how it works for you. I need to raptor line my roof then look at solar.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:51 AM   #1747

Garage
Well done Mike. You'll enjoy having batteries fully charged at 9 am each morning without cranking the engine. :-)
Old 02-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #1748

There's a little lip above the fridge, between my kitchen counter and the driver seat, where I've historically kept some plastic bins and phone chargers. They have mostly stayed in place by friction (a tissue box wedged in between the back of the driver seat and the counter), but they occasionally like to bounce out sending their contents all over the van when I hit the a large bump while on trail.

Well, I decided to finally improve this. I've never found a bin exactly the right size, so I decided to try fabricating my own using corrogated plastic (aka "coroplast"). This material is surprisingly strong. Glue tends to not work, so I held it together with some zip ties. I wrapped the exposed rough edges with white duct tape. Finally, I screwed it into the counter to keep it in place, and attached a power strip (more zip ties). Sure it doesn't look all that professional, but it's custom size. It wouldn't be much work to make a new one with different dimensions if needed later.

-- Geoff
Old 02-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #1749

Garage
I finally got around to Raptor lining my top. It came out really nice.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
There's a little lip above the fridge....

-- Geoff
I like that Geoff. Coroplast is awesome stuff. A friend of mine made a boat out of it and Gorrilla tape. Not only does it float but it floats with adults in it!

Anyway, very creative solution.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote