Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #1811

Garage
I did a few things in the past week, and finally a chance to post them...
I "Fixed" the glass on the tilt out awning window last week. It is still hanging on with probably 10-12 openings. We will see how it does after the White Rim Road this summer. The thread-with-pics link is here. Ill keep you informed...
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...r-16561-2.html

Also I installed Truck-Lite headlamps. This meant converting to the sealed beam hardware from the salvage yard and painting some trim around the headlights. After these were in a few days it became apparent that the grille needed painting as well.
Pics etc are at the thread for it here...
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post174474

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:30 AM   #1812

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
...Also I installed Truck-Lite headlamps...
Thumbs up on the TLH swap. We've had our for a bit over a year I think, LUV'em.

: ) Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #1813
Site Team

Garage
Installed a new aluminum radiator, BP water pump, wrapped the engine harness, wrapped the up pipes (sure killed the turbo noise), installed a DP tuner with fuel pressure gauge, and new nations alternator with remote voltage controller. My backup lights were out and it took some troubleshooting to figure what was bad...ended up having to run a new circuit to the rear.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Installed a new aluminum radiator, BP water pump, wrapped the engine harness, wrapped the up pipes (sure killed the turbo noise), installed a DP tuner with fuel pressure gauge, and new nations alternator with remote voltage controller. My backup lights were out and it took some troubleshooting to figure what was bad...ended up having to run a new circuit to the rear.
What is a DP tuner with fuel pressure gage? You mean you flashed the PCM with a custom tune written by DPtuner as well as installed a fuel pressure gage. They're not related right? edit to add: nevermind, I just saw your post in the DPtuner thread. So, your using it as a monitor.

I must say, after arguing with Sheriffdoug over the merits of the all aluminum radiator, it just might have lowered my ECTs ~10 degrees across the board. Hard to say since I also installed the Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler at the same time, also wrapped the up pipes and downpipes, as well as adding hood louvers but my rig is running noticeably cooler.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #1815

After my engine debacle last summer put the project on hold, I'm finally getting around to doing my full floater swap. And because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I painted the axle stubs red just like the Badger.
Attached Thumbnails
rear axle.jpg   rear axle2.jpg   rear axle3.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #1816
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
What is a DP tuner with fuel pressure gage? You mean you flashed the PCM with a custom tune written by DPtuner as well as installed a fuel pressure gage. They're not related right? edit to add: nevermind, I just saw your post in the DPtuner thread. So, your using it as a monitor.

I must say, after arguing with Sheriffdoug over the merits of the all aluminum radiator, it just might have lowered my ECTs ~10 degrees across the board. Hard to say since I also installed the Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler at the same time, also wrapped the up pipes and downpipes, as well as adding hood louvers but my rig is running noticeably cooler.
The 80HP tune seems to be the reason...60 tow is about the same as the SCT 50 tow, just slightly hotter. The down pipes have been wrapped since day one. Yeah I'd think getting that T cooler out of there should make a difference and was on the list but didn't happen . Next time I guess.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #1817
Site Team

Garage
Forgot to add... nice diff cover.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #1818

Tried to get the side and rear door windows tinted today, but the shop said they're already booked for at least the next week. Guess their Yelp reviews are correct.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:50 PM   #1819

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Thumbs up on the TLH swap. We've had our for a bit over a year I think, LUV'em.

: ) Thom
Your response to my short wave radio PM caused me to see your Chevy on your website. I clicked the Truck-Lite link on the "Van Conversion" page and asked the people at tech support if they had an application for me. They gave me the part numbers. Then, lo and behold, I spotted rallypanam's recent thread on the same lights for the Econoline and what was involved to make the transition to sealed beam. Next thing I know I can see at night!

Thanks for the inspiration Thom and rallypanam!!
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #1820

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
...Next thing I know I can see at night!

Thanks for the inspiration Thom and rallypanam!!
You are most welcome!

=======Today's project ...

I went to the local fabricator and we put on the awning rail he welded together. While I do have a full write up on the why's of this mod in my build thread at _this post_... I will state basically this was the end result of pondering how we could safely utilize tarps in our camp year round rain/shine/sleet/snow and WIND. I also think we are going to leave it natural color and not bother with the powder coating as originally thought. It looks just fine up there as is, and of course, is wife approved ; )

Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote