Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #2621

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_063040.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	19951

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_063035.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	19952

Added led step lights. They come on when any doors is open. They cost about a dollar 47 each on Amazon. They also light up with the unlock button on your key fob

pavement ends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #2622

Did a review of the Weldtec Baja Grocery Getter kit
Not a great video but a few people wanted one done so here it is.
Comments or questions are welcome.

2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #2623

Took a risk buying a refurbished, de-branded 12 volt fridge on Ebay.

Once it arrived and I was able to google search some of the labels on the back, I was surprised to find ourselves the new owners of a Bushman fridge. This thing only pulls 0.9 amps/24 hours; it's built for 4x4 enthusiasts in the Australian bush land, so efficiency was company's top priority. This thing is a massive step up from the original '87 Dometic fridge that we just pulled out!
SunstateSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:55 PM   #2624

Garage
purchased a Rockslide spare tire rack a while back, but plans changed and didnt use it - until recently I decided to make use of it and created a little extra storage (that is also quickly removable). Shelf on top was fabricated to resemble the Aluminess Box, & Holds two Storm cases.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #2625

Wow... Great idea. I love the use of space, which is something that I'm quickly learning is a constant consideration when outfitting these vehicles.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #2626
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Installed a new carbon monoxide detector, long overdue as the original one installed by SMB West in ‘03 should have been replaced in ‘05/‘06. I searched and found that Sportsmobile store had the replacement for less than everyone else, and it arrived only a few days after I ordered it, I went ahead and bought the replacement for the aged propane detector near the floor as well.
The new CO detector needs a little larger hole to fit, I had to take the trim piece off to be able to cut the wood frame, I peeled the fabric back and cut the 1X and trimmed off some of the face frame ply that was in the way with a combination of using a jig saw and finishing it off with a small saw. I used spray adhesive to reattach the fabric and buttoned it up.
Old......

And......

New......

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #2627

I installed a junkyard sourced opening window in the rear door today. It's the little things that make me smile sometimes.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
purchased a Rockslide spare tire rack a while back, but plans changed and didnt use it - until recently I decided to make use of it and created a little extra storage (that is also quickly removable). Shelf on top was fabricated to resemble the Aluminess Box, & Holds two Storm cases.
That is sweet!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #2629

My rear HVAC decided it wouldn't do anything other than blow hot air from the floor, a few weeks ago. I decided to be nice to my kids and look into it before heading south/inland this weekend. After pulling nearly all of the driver's side interior, I verified that I had vacuum, then pulled the blower and reached inside to feel that the blend door arm (plastic) had broken. After finally getting the actuator and blend door removed, I made a simple bracket out of some aluminum flat stock that I had laying around, then riveted it to the blend door and red loctite'd a thin jamb nut/bolt in place for the actuator rod to hook to. Tada! everything works as it should again, and my "free" fix is definitely sturdier than a new OEM piece, and over $100 cheaper too. Only one trim panel tab was broken in the process, so I call that a win!

I also finally identified a particular "clunk" that's been driving me nuts for the last 1,000 miles. I narrowed it down to the front, right corner, and it seemed most noticeable when the suspension would quickly rebound. My first thought was a broken/missing upper shock stem bushing, but I reached in the wheelwell and felt that it was still there. Figured I'd just have to wait until I could get someone to help turn the wheels/operate the floor jack while I poked around, so I drove another couple hundred miles as it was. Driving home on Sunday, on windy back country roads (CA hwy 229 if anyone is familiar) I was getting gnasty wheel hop from the front right while rounding hard right turns. While filling up at the gas station, I reached in the wheelwell again, felt the stem bushing again, but this time I had my wife give a couple of good bounces on the front bumper... EUREKA! There was HALF of a stem bushing in there, when she bounced, I pulled (most of) the rest of it out and was rewarded with the all too familiar clunk that had been driving me nuts. A trip to the "HELP!" section of the nearest auto parts store, $5, a 9/16" gear-wrench, and a couple minutes later, and the ride is back to quiet(ish) and comfortable. I love it when it's an easy fix!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #2630

Nice work! Dude you are handy. C'mon over. My wife could use some help.

Pulling the plastic interior of an E-series absolutely sucks. The Transit is no better, in fact, maybe worse. I've broken 10 or more clips the few times I've had mine apart.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote