Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #2721

On my last trip, while rounding a corner, my fully loaded galley box came unlatched and flew around until it hit the hinge stops, it was violent enough to nearly move the van sideways. This was due to the latch mechanism falling apart. It's amazing it didn't snap the hinges, but on my last visit to Aluminess, I had them weld on some reinforcing gussets to the hinges. At the same time, they welded up the lower hinge hole in the bumper that had gotten really sloppy. That repair didn't last though and it quickly became worse than before, which probably accelerated the demise of the latch mechanism. I've ordered another latch, but without fixing the hole it won't last long. So, I reamed out the hole and put in a bronze bushing that will hopefully reduce the wear at the heavily side loaded pivot bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6301.JPG  

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #2722

Went for a drive out of Silverton. Top of the pass, hike on the CO Trail then back to town.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #2723

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
On my last trip, while rounding a corner, my fully loaded galley box came unlatched and flew around until it hit the hinge stops, it was violent enough to nearly move the van sideways. This was due to the latch mechanism falling apart. It's amazing it didn't snap the hinges, but on my last visit to Aluminess, I had them weld on some reinforcing gussets to the hinges. At the same time, they welded up the lower hinge hole in the bumper that had gotten really sloppy. That repair didn't last though and it quickly became worse than before, which probably accelerated the demise of the latch mechanism. I've ordered another latch, but without fixing the hole it won't last long. So, I reamed out the hole and put in a bronze bushing that will hopefully reduce the wear at the heavily side loaded pivot bolt.
I worry about this happening to mine so I put a pin through the holes in the swingarms to basically lock them together. Glad you didn't have too much damage.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:28 PM   #2724

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Damn. Maybe the 100 pounds of gas on top of the galley box isn’t the best idea?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:20 AM   #2725

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Damn. Maybe the 100 pounds of gas on top of the galley box isn’t the best idea?
112lbs actually, but it's balanced by the Honda generator and chain saw inside. It turns out those hinges are damn strong.
Advanced 4wd
Old 07-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #2726

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER View Post
Very nice. Let us know how the tranny cooler does and what EGTs you are commonly running.

Did we talk at the meet and greet a few weeks ago in the canyon in OC?
Eric
I do believe we did chat at the meetup. Fun times. If I was asking you about this subject, thanks for any info you gave. I've only driven around town so far, after installing the gauges and cooler. The pic was taken when I just parked after a 10 mile test run on city streets. I'm planning a roadtrip soon, so I'll get a better idea where I'm at on highways and hills, yet I did see 1200* EGT if I stomped on it, as well as Boost at 15-20. The tranny gauge was just reaching toward 150* around town. That was the "are the gauges working test," next is more how the Van performs.
Fool120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #2727

Thursday evening I bought a 5.4L 2002 e250 for parts. My transmission tailshaft extension housing broke and the new ones from ford are backordered. None of the junkyards have one either.

Did you know that our drive shafts have cardboard tubes glued inside of them? At least the one on that 02 did.

Now I can take the rear axle and put it on my trailer so I will have all the same wheels
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #2728

I replaced the factory radio with a new one in my 2008 Ford E350 6.0 Diesel SMB. New radio has Apple car play, Bluetooth and Garmin navigation and back up camera. Spent 1,000.00 total installed super happy I now can listen to my audible books.
Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #2729

Love it Bigly gonna head that way myself in my SMB
Are you staying at a campground or can you recommend on either in silverto or winter park area.
Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #2730

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Thursday evening I bought a 5.4L 2002 e250 for parts.
So, are you going to part it out? Where is the van located?...........Cheers
Advanced 4wd