Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #1

What's in your wallet (tank) -Ford Diesel

If you've been following the chronicles of Deminimis, you'd know I've been throwing P1211 faults since Baja. Over $1k later, I'm still throwing that same cursed fault. I read of a long time diesel mechanic that was stumped by the same problem. He, like me, tried everything. Eventually, someone suggested looking at the in-tank sending unit as when Ford diesels get around 100k miles on them, the screen in the sending unit can get plugged. I spoke with Powerhouse diesel, explained my situation and Mike also suggested the screen in the sending unit/fuel pickup. However, he was clear to point out it was the screen encased in the plastic housing, not the big screen that you can easily see. Well got after mine today (yesterday was a new fuel pump...more money down the drain) and sure 'nuff, the two filters were 40-50% plugged with rust granules. Yes, rust granules. In fact, there was a fair amount in the bottom of the tank and the retun fuel line was nearly plugged. So cleaned the screens, the whole unit and cleaned out the tank.

Here's the sending unit showing screens after I cracked it open (three snaps):

Well, why stop there. Let's vent this Transfer Flow so I can actually fill it. It had two Ford vents. Those vent have pin holes and vent into a cap. Not very effective. So, first thing is I added a connection to the filler tube for my new vent tube. Not a pretty weld, but a weld it is (old valve cover vent from on my of VW buggy engines -Welded it up and then drilled through the filler tube wall.)

I took the Ford vents apart (they come out of the tank with just a 1/4 turn AND you can get to them without removing the tank -the are a roll over valve). So, took them apart and opened up the hole. Did not reinstall the roll over valve parts as venting into the filler tube. Here are the Ford vents.

Well, how does it all work you ask? Dunno. I only have two hoses left to hook back up, but the heat was too much for me after being out in the sun for nine hours (I did other things today too). So will hook the filler hose and the orig vent hose, fill it back up and hope for the best in the AM, when its cool. So, if your Ford diesel is getting near the six-figure mark, time to clean out that sending unit. If I had it to do over again, I would have just replaced the unit.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #2

Re: What's in your wallet (tank) -Ford Diesel Sperfic

Oh yea, connected the two now modified Ford vents via hose and a "T", with a single hose running up to the new filler tube vent. Now the front, rear and middle of the tank are vented. I also opened up the filler neck so I could use the commercial diesel pumps at the farm store where I buy 90% of my fuel.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Re: What's in your wallet (tank) -Ford Diesel

Deminimis-
That looks like some pretty savvy work; you must not of come from that village you speak of...
Bill
Old 05-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

What?? are you sleeping in this morning???

What are the functional results ??

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #5

Oh no, under the van at 6:00AM. Won one and lost one.

The modified venting worked great. Easily filled that tank all the way in no time using a commercial truck diesel pump. However, on my test uphill grade (a good 3/4 mile pull), I'm still throwing those damn P1211 and P1209 codes. So nothing left but the HPOP. So, do I buy a HPOP and spend a weekend installing it (not something I'm that interested in doing after the fun of installing the IPR a couple months back) or do I spend $1k and just have it done in a day? I'm thinking the latter.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Considering your recent time investment, I would be for choice "B"..... less of your time and quicker results.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:24 AM   #7

What are your thoughts on the rust?

Is this just accumulation of in-fuel debris coming from the fuel we buy?
Or
Is this produced in tank?

I seem to remember someone showing shots of the inside of their fuel tank and how it was completely rusted.....
Old 05-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #8

The sending unit was rusty and needed cleaning. Very little tank rust with some at each opening. Over the years might pick up some contaminated here and there. Figured Baja fuel added to the problem.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #9

Do you think there could be any other spots in the system where the debris might be causing a problem?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
Oh no, under the van at 6:00AM. Won one and lost one.

The modified venting worked great. Easily filled that tank all the way in no time using a commercial truck diesel pump. However, on my test uphill grade (a good 3/4 mile pull), I'm still throwing those damn P1211 and P1209 codes. So nothing left but the HPOP. So, do I buy a HPOP and spend a weekend installing it (not something I'm that interested in doing after the fun of installing the IPR a couple months back) or do I spend $1k and just have it done in a day? I'm thinking the latter.
The dealer might be your best choice, provided you have a competent dealer and a competent diesel tech there. That makes all the difference in the world.

Herb