Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #11

Re: Wireless Temperature Monitor Install

Happy to report that the new location for the outside sensor for the temp gauge is working great and hasn't lost its signal in several months. Its probably also worth noting that I only used double faced tape to mount it (after cleaning area with alcohol) which is probably more of a miracle since I've been in blistering temps and over a lot of wasboard.

DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #12

Good, I've been thinking about what to do with the stock license plate space and I need to move the temp monitor. Do you always have Jerry cans there? Do you think the signal bounces (as my tray is either empty or has a plastic cooler)?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #13

The jerry cans are pretty much always there. Occasionally I'll have a big bag of duck decoys sitting in and strapped to the box. I don't know what makes that spot work vs the back of the spare tire assembly but I just took the monitor and stuck it to the top underside of the license plate frame fully expecting it to stop working or fall off and neither came true. Perhaps because there is one less layer of sheet metal to go through? But then again, the speakers are right there I think and I figured that might screw it up.

Anyway, it works! And since the license plate frame is just a little plastic "box" you could probably figure out a way to screw in some velcro straps for more security. (The weather station this one goes to was like $20 so I'm not too vested in it. The other weather monitor I have in the van is more $$$ and that sensor is mounted to the underside of the penthouse top in the back but doesn't get an accurate reading unless the top is up.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #14

I'm sad to report that the "new" location for the weather station in the rear license plate cavity doesn't work either. It didn't transmit reliably and it was too exposed to the elements I think because the remote transmitter got jacked I think. I'm currently experimenting with a location inside the winch cover. Out of the weather for the most part and hopefully far enough away that its not too susceptible to engine heat. I just don't know if it will transmit through/around the engine but I guess we'll see. I just hope my cover doesn't fly off like some have reported (I haven't had problems to date so hopefully I'm not dooming myself.)

Again, not too vested in the weather station so we'll see. Got a camo model from Sierra Trading Post which kinda fits for us so that's a plus.

If anybody has any more bright ideas on locations for the transmitter I'm all ears. The one place that I thnk would work well but I don't have the stones to try is placed behind the drivers side mirror. If you look behind the mirror there's enough space to mount a sensor but I don't know if these mirrors "pop out" like many others and didn't want to risk breaking or ruining the motor for the power mirror.

Anyway, will report back if the winch cover location works.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #15

I mentioned in August of putting the sender in front of the radiator but that didn't work out very well. I now have the sender in the "outside shower" box and it is working flawlessly....protected from the weather, relatively close to the receiver, and easy to get to in order to replace the battery.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #16

I have the same unit mounted using electrical fasteners in the spare tire. It has never lost it's signal in about 5 month's. Other mounting methods "may" (???) block the signal. ???
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
Bringing back an old thread.

After testing and moving my weather sensor all over the van, I finally decided to purchase a cheap Stevenson shield and mounted it under my solar panel. I did put some reflectix in the roof of the shield. Yes in full sun the panels radiate heat which pushes the true reading up about 4 degrees. But the location works and is fairly accurate unless the shield itself is hit by direct sun (the shield compact size is supposed to be shaded). At night, in a light breeze, or on the road, it's 100% accurate. At the rear of the vehicle I got false reads while driving because of the engine heat or in the case of pounding summer heat, the van itself radiates heat. I tried the rear spare and lic plate cutout, but that black Aluminess stuff gets really hot in summer. I have a Kestrel D-3 in the shield and a D-1 in the fridge. Nice having a data logger that works well from my smart phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Stevenson shield.jpg   D4.JPG   D1.JPG   D2.JPG   D3.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:06 PM   #18

That's cool Dave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:17 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage
Thanks Eric. BTW I don't want to suggest the Kestrel Drop registers wind... I have a separate Kestrel wind meter that uses the same app dash board.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #20

Thanks Dave, now I gotta buy a kestrel thing... lol
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote