Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 07:36 AM   #111

Re: Yet another BFG Tire fail.

Good to hear Rob. Yeah, the quoted sidewall pressure is the max. No need to run it at that if not needed. Also, I believe that the KO2 maximum is 65psi vs most other brands going to 80. Looking forward to the new skins this fall.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
Good to hear Rob. Yeah, the quoted sidewall pressure is the max. No need to run it at that if not needed. Also, I believe that the KO2 maximum is 65psi vs most other brands going to 80. Looking forward to the new skins this fall.
Load Range E Tires 295 and wider are 65psi max, everything narrower are 80 psi max.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleSteve
Load Range E Tires 295 and wider are 65psi max, everything narrower are 80 psi max.
That's correct Steve, my bad. I was thinking of the skinny tires....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #114

An interesting read here on what this guy thinks about airing down E rated tires. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... res-E-or-D

Disclaimer, I post as Stormlover on Portal.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #115

That thread is a massive fail. No discussion of load carrying capacity or using tire load tables and vehicle placards together to pick the right tire and pressure (as recommended by the TRA).

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #116

Thanks for everbody's impute. My two BFG failures were both from tagging rocks on the sidewall. Ops, file was too big to download. I will post one in my Album.
BillPa1
BillPa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #117

I have had BFG's on my van for a while, correct load rating for my E150 4x4, always good about tire pressure. Found they worked well as tires, until they didn't.... Had one blow out with a rock going straight through the tread itself. It was possibly just bad luck rather than bad tire construction but it put me on alert.

Then a couple of weeks ago, coming back from a camping trip, I had the drivers side front tire blow out on me at 65mph. I was very lucky in being able to bring the van to a stop without incident. Took the tire to my favorite store and they could find nothing that could suggest why it happened, other than a failure of the sidewall.

One can argue for coincidence but in my 30 years of (post-poverty) driving on reasonable tires I have had 3 blowouts. One about 15 years ago on a Eurovan in the midst of the Bridegestone/Ford Explorer blowout issue. Firestone agreed to replace all 4 for free in that case.

The other 2 were on BFGoodrich's. I now have Toyo's on the van and will not be buying any more BF Goodrich tires.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:10 PM   #118

Still no word from BFG on the tire that had a bubble in the tread that didn't blow out that they took back. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think I'm terribly confused about their 6 year, less than so much wear warranty being, at least theoretically, applicable in this case.

So far, so good on the replacement goodyears. In fact, their sidewalls look unmarked, despite some rather rocky trails. I do think the right toyos would have been an even better choice, but I'm not throwing out something that works at this point.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #119

Still a huge fan of these tires, but I imagine this is what a tire looks like before it delaminates or otherwise fails. I've had a lot of these tires, on several VERY heavy trucks, and still have yet to have a flat..

This one was causing a bit of a shimmy, so I took a look at them. It's old, very worn, and unevenly worn from an out of line kingpin, so I can't complain.

I know I need new tires, I'm just choking on the price! I guess I have to bite the bullet soon.... although I put the spare from my trailer on so still have a good spare..

Bulge:

You can see the tread offset to the side in this:
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #120

YIKES, get some new tires Robb.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote