Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #121

Garage
Try to get the old ones if possible. My tire guy says from what he's seen that I'll be lucky to get 20k out of my ko2's on a big heavy rig like mine. Kinda sucks to hear and I hope he's wrong cause I'm really liking these tires.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #122

Garage
I have almost 30k on my KO2s with a lot of tread to go. That includes two Baja trips and a lot of other off road miles. I believe 40K miles will be easy on them.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:52 PM   #123

Garage
Thanks for posting that info and I really hope I have the same results. These tires work really good in snow. Look forward to seeing how they perform off-road.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #124

I've heard the same rumors that the new KO2 rubber is soft and doesn't last.. but the few people who actually have them seem to say they're on par with the OGs. Time will tell.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #125

I have KO2s on my van and truck. The van has about 18k miles on them and the wear is barely measurable. I put these on when I first got the van so no real comparison to other tires. On my Dodge 3500 I have about 11k miles and they are at about 70% life, most other tires including the old KOs I could only get about 25k miles. So At this point I feel the KO2s are at least as long lived as the KOs but likely longer.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #126

I just had a BFG All Terrain T/A failure on the way home from Idyllwild today. We were doing about 70 mph in the slow lane when we heard a loud boom and the handling got instantly squirrely. I was able to pull over to the side and this is what I found:

I saw nothing on the highway and don't believe I ran over anything. Only 9,000 miles on the tires and no flat fixes on this one. Pressure was about 65 psi and temps were maybe 75 along this stretch. We were lucky this did not happen on the front tire and are now a bit reluctant to trust the rest. I will likely end up replacing all tires with something else. I lost the Bushwacker flare and hope it did not hit anybody on the road. I also lost the end cap of the running board but no body damage seems to have occurred.

Any ideas what could have caused this? The tread looks to have delaminated in the center of the tire but left the outside still attached. Higher resolution pictures are here:

https://roberttilley.smugmug.com/BF-...in-TA-Failure/
Old 04-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #127

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
I just had a BFG All Terrain T/A failure on the way home from Idyllwild today. We were doing about 70 mph in the slow lane when we heard a loud boom and the handling got instantly squirrely. I was able to pull over to the side and this is what I found:

I saw nothing on the highway and don't believe I ran over anything. Only 9,000 miles on the tires and no flat fixes on this one. Pressure was about 65 psi and temps were maybe 75 along this stretch. We were lucky this did not happen on the front tire and are now a bit reluctant to trust the rest. I will likely end up replacing all tires with something else. I lost the Bushwacker flare and hope it did not hit anybody on the road. I also lost the end cap of the running board but no body damage seems to have occurred.

Any ideas what could have caused this? The tread looks to have delaminated in the center of the tire but left the outside still attached. Higher resolution pictures are here:

https://roberttilley.smugmug.com/BF-...in-TA-Failure/
How old is the tire? Age will kill tires just like miles. My van had a blow out on some old BFGs. They had a lot of miles and over 10 years old. Not the tires fault at all. Even with low miles tire companies recommend replacement after six years. There will be a date code on your tire that will say something like 3608, that would mean the 36th week of 2008.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #128

^^^ I was going to start with the same question for the same reason.

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire...-sidewall.page

On BFG tires the date code seems to usually be on the raised white lettering side of the tire.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #129

5 years is enough for tires. I used to replace trailer tires every other year.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #130

Yet another BFG Tire fail.

These were new on the van when I picked it up from SMB in Dec. 2012. Code states 2812 so it's getting close to 5 years. It did happen on the side of the van that sees the most sun when parked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk