Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #1

Yet another BFG Tire fail.

I've read a lot about the tire issues here on the forum. I used to agree that these tires are the greatest and the others must be doing something wrong. I'm a stickler for tire pressures. With an on board compressor it's easy to make sure the tire pressure is there. I do use my tires heavily, airing down often and traveling on rough roads. Needles to say I was surprised when last week I had my first failure.

I was driving north on I-5 towards Seattle. Felt the van shaking a little more than normal. I decided to stop in a rest area and I felt and looked at all of my tires. I just barely caught the bulge on the left rear tire. If it had been on the bottom I would have missed it and maybe had a blow out at highway speed.

The tires were made during the 28th week of 2007. I bought them in 2007. BFG 285/70-17 Load range D. About 30,000 miles on them, but plenty of tread left.

Looks like the tread was thinking about as massive fail.

I'm looking into the nitto and toyo's. Definitely something in load range E now. I'm concerned with the aggressive tread on the MT's. Not concerned with noise, more worried about wear and road performance.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #2

Re: Yet another BFG Tire fail.

What pressures were you running, out of curiousity?

Good move going to E rated, though there are threads on E load tire failures.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #3

I run 55 to 60 on the road. 40 for fast dirt roads, and down to 25 for crawling.

Hadn't heard of the E failures. That's a bummer.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #4

I was just thinking about the situation you just had before you posted, wondering if these bulges are easy to catch before a blowout. I wonder if the tire was generating heat too? Some of the TPMSs monitor temperature, though really the bulge is a structural failure (unlike not enough air) so not sure it would generate extra heat?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #5

Now that I think back it was not hot. I put my hand directly on the tire within a minute of stopping and didn't feel a hot spot at all. I used my hand to feel the bulge after I saw it so got plenty of direct contact. My van has always had a slight side to side wobble at highway speed. My nephew noticed it first, just a slight increase in wobble. After he said it I pulled into the next rest area and luckily found the problem. When I drove across the rest area to a shady spot we could feel the bump now that we knew about it.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by panion

Looks like the tread was thinking about as massive fail.
Could the tread issue just be a rock cut. I have two BFG's left with almost identical mileage and age. There are a few nick and scrapes on the tread. One spot looks like your photo. I always attributed it to climbing over sharp rocks.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #7

It could be a rock cut I guess. Doesn't matter to me at this point. I've lost all faith in these tires. I'm in Canada now and I've decided I don't even want to trust the tires to get me back to Arizona. It's just not worth it. A blow out in this heavy rig would be ugly especially considering some of the twisty back roads I find myself on.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #8

I'm sorry to hear of your tire failure. Has there been any OTHER brands of tires that had these failures or has it just been BFG. I am running D range Nittos and so far they have been OK except for the wear factor. I'm only getting 35,000 out of them.

Paul
Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #9

I had two massive failures with my 2007 D rated Tires as well . When contacted BFG explained that the weights incurred on my vehicle required an E rated Tire that was not available at the time of delivery of my 10,590 (loaded) SportsMobile . Both of my separation issues occurred before I had hit the 21,000 mile mark and both were at Highway speeds ! Thankfully they were caught in time .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #10

Sorry to hear about your tire failure. I am glad you were able to catch it before you had a blow out.

Quote:
I run 55 to 60 on the road. 40 for fast dirt roads, and down to 25 for crawling.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have the D-rated BFGs 315/70/17 and the max pressure listed at 50psi cold.

Cheers,
John