Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #41

Re: Z Brackets Ver2 for gutter mounting awnings - New Run

Any left?

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #42

Yep, about 6 sets Going with Fiamma oir ARB/CVT?
Old 12-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #43

Trying to get my new 13' fiamma installed on my Z brackets. How the heck do you bolt it down? The shock absorber is in the way.

Can I just drive a sheet metal screw right in the center of it? I'd rather bolt it down if I could (bolt and washer behind absorber), but I can't see how to do that without total disassembly of arms, absorbers, etc.

TIA.
odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinson
Trying to get my new 13' fiamma installed on my Z brackets. How the heck do you bolt it down? The shock absorber is in the way.

Can I just drive a sheet metal screw right in the center of it? I'd rather bolt it down if I could (bolt and washer behind absorber), but I can't see how to do that without total disassembly of arms, absorbers, etc.

TIA.
Hey thanks for the PM. Instructions for the Fiamma say to fit the mount points behind the arm mount points.

Disclaimer: Please use common sense don't follow my lead without you own discretion. Three hours ago I was clueless.

Since I went for the 13' awning, really don't want to take chances with that extra weight. I want to use the designated mount points.

Before that, I had some problems with the rear bracket. I would say an adult male should be able to hang off all three installed brackets ape style. You should see the gutter/van body flex a bit under load to know you have it right. If it won't hold you it won't hold the awning. Try it. Better than killing some schlub in a subcompact on the parkway later. They can be superficially OK but ready to fall off if installed badly.

It turns out the shock absorber assembly is held to the track inside the awning by two allen bolts.

Here's the Z-bracket/fiamma missing instructions. This is for front and back, middle is easier.
  1. Hang the awning on the installed Z brackets.[/*:m:1w14d2sl]
  2. Lower the feet and Fully extend the awning (slowly and carefully since it's not bolted down yet.) Crank a foot, walk the feet, crank a foot walk the feet, etc.[/*:m:1w14d2sl]
  3. Mark off placement of shock absorber with painters tape or marker.[/*:m:1w14d2sl]
  4. Unscrew the two allen screws for the mount. They are at the bottom[/*:m:1w14d2sl]
  5. Slide the assembly 4 inches away from the designated mount point[/*:m:1w14d2sl]
  6. Drill a hole as close to where the assembly was (use the tape) as you can.[/*:m:1w14d2sl]
  7. Run a bolt inside the awning housing. Or two if they must be small.[/*:m:1w14d2sl]
  8. return the assembly to it's original position, tighten.[/*:m:1w14d2sl]

You need to move the assembly so you can get it as close to the center of the z bracket as you can. You won't be able to tighten the nut on a close bolt if you don't shift them temporally.

Sorry if this is annoying/obvious but I'm a newb to awnings. Just the right combination of lack of knowledge and misplaced self confidence.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #45

OK got to hook the awning up properly this weekend.

The good news
1. I was able to hook up the fiamma to the Z brackets with confidence. Two bolts at each bracket, and a stock fiamma aluminum mounting plate behind the middle bracket. The zs and the fiamma are one.
2. The CCV short pop top, specifically the latches can be made to fit not only with a awning but a 13' awning. I had to modify and relocate the hold down brackets though.
3. My fears of the awning tipping over the van are completely unjustified. No way are the Zs strong enough to resist that force. Plus it's pretty obvious that the extending arms of the Fiamma will clearly break/bend with more than about 500lbs of force IMO (that's in my opinion, not tested, I know nothing, don't sue me)
4. The fiamma rep that talked me out of paying for an F45eagle was doing me a favor. He was right no way the brackets could handle the torque of the extended awning +motor.

The bad news
1. Each Z brackets can withstand about 100lbs or so of force at a 45 degree angle towards the ground or all three about 150lbs straight down (+the 60 for the awning itself 210lbs total). At that point the clamping force can no longer hold the gutter and the little Z slips it's mount point. I tested this by gently opening the awning all the way and slowly letting it sag to the ground without legs. at 45 degrees 'pop' two brackets came loose.
2. Because the working load is only about 150 or so while I don't think the awning will come off under normal parkway conditions... but... snow, ice, accidents, evasive maneuvers or offroading will end badly, eventually.

Now please nobody should think this is a blame game. So many ways this van is unique. I am running a 13'1" awning (the length of the van roof) and the brackets had to be bent out slightly (on the bench vise) to clear the weatherstripping when the poptop goes up and down. It's solid but I worry I could kill a motorcyclist one day when the awning falls off. Just sharing info.

I have ordered a nut rivet install kit. I've already decided I MUST pop a nut rivet and drill a hole in the the Z inside the door. I may just leave it like that for a while. That will keep the awning dragging next to the van even if the Zs come loose at 70 mph. The awning will be ruined but nobody will be dead. The door *might* hold the bracket in without it but it's sheet metal and could bend and set the whole thing free if it's violent enough.

Similar process.

The tool I ordered.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TODXQW

I also expect that to add a full 100lbs to the 45 degree test. (I will try the test again.) Keeping everything intact should young but foolish family member extend the awning without feet or should they kicked out while camped.

BTW, I replaced the stainless hardware with grade 8 bolts. Don't want the stainless to seize up since the bracket instructions sensibly say to tighten them periodically.

Pics will come soon enough.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #46

Garage
Question for those that had the mediocre SMB awning brackets with the Fiamma awning - are these Z brackets less 'wobbly'

Was out on the roof sweeping off the 15" of snow and noticed how much my awning wobbles even though the bolts are all tight. Guessing it's the flex of the Sheet metal most of the brackets are bolted into...

Ray, do you have any more sets left?

Thx

-d
Old 12-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #47

They are much less wobbly. I switched from the SMB brackets this summer and the Z brackets are way more stable. I am just down the hill from you if you want to come check them out sometime.
CapitalE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #48

Missed this posting and glad it popped up today!

I have four of the THEEE bracket sets. These are for the Fiamma and Colorado Carefree awning styles. $175 shipped

I also have four of TWO bracket sets. These are for the ARB/CVT awning styles. $150 shipped.

Thxs!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #49

IMO the Z brackets are stable strong enough for the powered or 13' awnings WITH nutcerts aka:rivetnuts attaching all three to the body and the clamp (the nutcert holds the base in place while sideways force might otherwise pop the clamp off. Please test it and own the result your self.

They are good. Thanks for your help 1der!

The write up if you missed it.

https://themodness.wordpress.com/201...-in-the-shade/
Old 02-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #50

Sent you a pm regarding an ARB style set.
-tommy
Tommy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote