Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #21
Site Team

Re: 12V fridge vs. 12V ice chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Herb,

Actually I meant improving a new Norcold that fits in the opening.

Obviously you need to replace it with something. And many of us have good working Norcolds.

Mike
OK, got it Mike. Yeah, mine may just be an aberration, but I'm leary of spending another $600-$700 on the same thing.

Herb

Old 11-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #22
Site Team

From one online source of Norcold DC0051 parts:

DC Power Supply $364.00
Cooling Unit $878.00
Thermister $ 25.69

Assuming I can figure out what's not working, can you guess which part I'm hoping for? The unit will run all the time and not cool, so I doubt it's the DC Power Supply.

FYI, the best price I've found for an entire, brand new fridge is $516.90 plus shipping

Herb
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #23

If it's running all the time and not cooling, either the compressor is out, or you've lost the freon.

The way the stock compressor assy is mounted, it could easily crack a tube while bouncing around on city streets, let alone off-road.

A good AC/refrigiration shop might be able to find a leak, repair it and recharge the system for a lot less than new unit.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #24

I have been stressing the same decisions and have read hundreds of posts over at expeditionportal.com. This new kid on the block (so to speak) EdgeStar is getting some pretty good reviews and is much cheaper than the others. They have three sizes 43, 63, and 86qt. The 86qt is $650 w/ free shipping. The 43qt is $494 and the 63 qt $595.

http://www.compactappliance.com/FP86...efault,pd.html

The only problems people have really had are crappy 12v plugs (easy swap) and some have shipped without the control panel connected properly. While I am a true believer that you get what you pay for I also am a true believer that paying more for designer anything when the "generic" is just as good is crazy.

The exact same fridge is sold via Sierra Expeditions under the Whynter brand if you want to support an expedition company. Sold cheaper through Sierra but the shipping puts it over the top.

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind..._detail&p=1050

I ordered the big one since 87 quarts is about 2.9 cubic feet which is comparable to the Norcolds that SMB installs. It hasn't arrived yet but I'll post pictures of it in the van (a regular 15 passenger van not a SMB) later.

Do a google search on edgestar site:expeditionportal.com and find out lots more.

Mark Alston
beernutmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #25
Site Team

Mark,

I've been following that thread on ExPo as well. Maybe not as a replacement for my built-in fridge, but as a portable unit I can take in my Bronco, VW, ...

Herb
Old 01-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #26
Site Team

Old 01-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Why? Because the stupid, f'n Norcold is working today.

Thought I'd give it a quick test before pulling it out again to take one last look at possible causes and the damn thing worked.

Now this might be good news, but I'd almost rather have it not work than not be able to count on it and have it unavailable when needed most. So now my project for tomorrow will be to pull it out and check all connections. Today's episode does tell me the freon has not leaked out.

Previously, it would not cool at all for me (shore power or onboard power). Peter at SMB told me it would run but not shut off. I was able to "dial back" the control knob and the fridge would shut off.

One correction to an earlier post, my Norcold is a DC-only version of the fridge. Maybe it's the DC power supply. Maybe it's possessed.

Herb
Old 02-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #28
Site Team

Garage

Herb did it just light up and run in the AC and DC mode but not get cold?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #29
Site Team

Yeah Dave, the green light next to the temp select knob would come on. When I did pull it out the other week after it worked again, I found one questionable power connection. I redid that connection and it still worked afterwords (had my fingers crossed on that one). Maybe there wasn't enough power run the compressor? It seemed like it was running earlier (when it wasn't cooling), but who knows.

Herb
Old 04-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #30

Looking over another post today and came across the Whynter brand of or table fridges at Walmart of all places. They sell the 85 quart model below for $603, another $64 for a 3 year warranty. Anyone have experience of these?

HomeProducts
About WhynterContact WhynterCustomer Support

Our Products

Air Comfort Lifestyle Outdoor Living Refrigeration
Whynter 85 Quart Portable Fridge/ Freezer

Home » Outdoor Living » Portable Fridges Freezers Whynter 85 Quart Portable Fridge/ Freezer
Consumption Chart

Product Specification
FM-85G User Manual
Power Consumption Chart
This Whynter Portable Fridge / Freezer offers premium quality and innovative design to your frozen/refrigerated needs. This freezer is great for RVs, boats, campsites, fishing trips and truly portable so you can take your fridge / freezer anywhere! All you need is either a standard household 110 Volt outlet or a 12 Volt power source, like an automotive battery.
Whether on a day trip or major expedition, you can easily keep your food and beverages chilled, or frozen with this benchtop freezer. The Whynter portable freezers should not to be confused with less effective 12 volt novelty and beverage type "coolers", the Whynter portable freezer fridge is a true freezer/refrigerator which cools between -8°F to 50°F. A cost effective and mobile solution for your recreational and critical freezing requirements.

Model: FM-85G
Capacity: 85 Quarts or 120 Cans (12FL oz) Capacity
Operates as a refrigerator or freezer
Compressor Cooling System
Voltage power AC (110V/60Hz - 80W / 1.0A) or DC (12V/24V - 5.5A/2.75A Car Lighter Socket)
Wattage: 80 Watts
8' AC power cord and 5' DC power cord are included
"Fast Freeze" mode rapidly cools to -6°F
Adjustable temperature range: -6°F to 50°F
LED temperature display
Power low indicator
Insulated lid and walls
Two removable wire baskets
Side handles for easy mobility
Functions even when tilted 30°
Tough and solid outer casing
ETL approved
Internal dimensions: 23" W x 13" L x 18" H including a compressor step with 8" W x 8" H
External dimensions: 28.1" W x 18.25" L x 23.5" H
Package dimensions: 32" W x 21"L x 26" H
Net weight: 71 LB
Gross weight: 75 LB
UPC 891207001699
* This unit comes with one year warranty.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote