Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: 12V only versus 12V/120V fridge

One interesting option that I will explore if I decide to go with an Isotherm Cruise 65, is this variant with a sliding drawer instead of a door. I still need to check the geomtery to see if it would even fully open where the fridge would be located, but it is intriguing.

Herb

Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
No worries Gulliver, seems like your question is very closely aligned. FWIW, if you full-time, look at getting one large fridge, or two small ones.

Herb
Exactly, I'm shooting for a large fridge/freezer combo. Prefer combo to separate units for compactness and I imagine better efficency. I also want the freezer compartment to be on the large size, as I plan to keep it stocked with fresh fish and small game.

These are the specific units I'm comparing:

1. Isotherm Cruise 195: http://www.indelmarineusa.com/products/CR195.htm
2. Nova Kool RFU6800: http://www.buyenergyefficient.org/rfu68 ... eezer.aspx
3. Vitrifrigio DP2600iAC: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1262894

I'm favoring both the Isotherm and the Nova Kool as they have larger freezers and the fridge is on top (less bending over), where as the Vitrifrigio has a much smaller freezer with fridge on bottom.

Quote:
Full time?
I would look at the "external cooling" offered by vitrifrigo
for the same weight, it gives you another 0.5 cf and the ability
to really cool down the cooling unit/placement ability

This is an excellent suggestion. However, for some reason they don't offer external cooling in the larger refers.

Regardless of the minor spec. differences between the three, I'll ultimately go with the most reliable unit. A reputation for dependable after-sales support will be an important factor too.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
One interesting option that I will explore if I decide to go with an Isotherm Cruise 65, is this variant with a sliding drawer instead of a door. I still need to check the geomtery to see if it would even fully open where the fridge would be located, but it is intriguing.

Herb
Yes, I think these may be worth a look too. The drawer box design prevents all the cold air from falling out (like on the front loaders) each time you open. That's gotta help with keeping the run cycles to a minumum.