Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

12v out

We just bought our 1996 Dodge based sportsmobile and have done 24 nights in a row with the three kids as we travel about.

I plugged into shore power and proceeded to turn most of the 12v stuff on. Something failed and all the 12v went out. I checked the fuses on the panel and everything looks fine. I also checked the gfi outlet that the battery charger plugs into and it was fine. The manual refers to a 40 amp reset that doesn't seem to be there.

Any ideas on what I might check next?

sendkcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: 12v out

Hard to say without more info. Sounds like you are saying you don't have a house battery because you are expecting 12 volts while plugged into shore power.
Some of the vehicles had converters with no house battery. Does it have a 110vAC to 12vDC power converter?

If so have you looked at the AC breaker that feeds it? Depending on the model, there should also be a 12v reset or breaker on the converter.

If you do have a house battery, do you have 12v when not plugged in?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #3

I've got a house battery with one of those sur flo battery chargers. I don't have a converter or inverter so fairly basic system but I still can't figure it out.

So once plugged into shore power I turn on the 12v lights and stereo ect and let the shore power recharge the battery is all. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Hard to say without more info. Sounds like you are saying you don't have a house battery because you are expecting 12 volts while plugged into shore power.
Some of the vehicles had converters with no house battery. Does it have a 110vAC to 12vDC power converter?

If so have you looked at the AC breaker that feeds it? Depending on the model, there should also be a 12v reset or breaker on the converter.

If you do have a house battery, do you have 12v when not plugged in?

Yes, I've got 12v without being plugged in normally, but right now nothing in the van that is 12v connected to the house battery works.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

You need to go back from the fuse panel to the battery, and find the fuse or circuit breaker between the battery and fuse panel. The circuit breaker most likely on your 1996 looks like this.
I would also suspect that there is a fuse between the charger and battery, but I don't have your setup.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
You need to go back from the fuse panel to the battery, and find the fuse or circuit breaker between the battery and fuse panel. The circuit breaker most likely on your 1996 looks like this.
I would also suspect that there is a fuse between the charger and battery, but I don't have your setup.
I will do that, but I can't view your image for some reason.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #7

Ok, I see the photo and will look for it as soon as I'm on my feet.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #8

Got it! Thanks for your help. Was that little circuit breaker but hiding inside the fuse panel housing.