Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #1

2 seperate house systems ???????

January 1st, hopefully, Ill be able to order a 2010 sprinter (for a camper/conversion and daily use)
My conversion includes 3 8D batteries.
Mercedes-Benz has a(optional) factory installed 100amp 2nd battery, along with the (optional) 220 alternator.
I will be using the conversion for mostly daily use, and not camping or using the 110v.
For daily use, I will be running the front AC,
rear AC
daytime running lights
rear cam system (4)
DVR for cam system
dog cam
GPS
CB
radar detector
radio
12v coffee mug
12v ipod charger
12v phone charger
My question is about the house system. Instead of daily, constantly draining/charging my 3 8D batteries($$$$) Do I order the 2nd battery(from M-B) and have 2 separate house systems.?????? Is there such a system??? Will I get more life from my 3 8D batteries that way.?????? I will only be camping/using 110v, 9-10 times a year for about 1 & 1/2 weeks ea time.

k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: 2 seperate house systems ???????

I don't know if it's doable, but I would hate to troubleshoot any problems. If it were me, I would skip the factory 2nd battery and have SMB add any auxiliary batteries as one system.

Good luck,
Herb
Old 12-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #3

Not using batteries is harder on them than moderate use. Go ahead and use the 8Ds. The 2nd battery from M-B would only be approx. equal to 1/4 of one of your 8D batteries. By the time you have completely drained it, you would have only taken 1/12th your house battery capacity. Charge them back up and they will take that nearly forever.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I agree with the previous posts. Keep it as simple as possible.

To get the best life out of your batteries you need to monitor them with a well made voltage/amp gauge. The idea is not to take the bank of 8D's down too far and bring em back to full on a daily basis. You'll have to play that by ear until you see what the true load is gonna be. And like Mike said, you need to be able to charge the batteries so your going to need the highest amp alternator you can get.
Even then, that might not be enough unless you're doing some long driving. It will all depend on how far you take them down at night and how long in the morning before you hit the road.

If you are driving the van daily, solar will only offset the charge but every bit helps. If you think that anytime you might be able to use a generator or possibly solar, you might want to add some type of pre-wireing to your list. At least ask SMB about it. Three 8D's is a bunch of power to use but also a lot to charge up.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote