Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2018, 11:59 PM   #1

2001Ford E150 Dash light issues

I all, new to the forum and looking forward to floowing the experience you all have and going through my new to me 2001 high roof

I do have a problem I need help with because google search says it is a long list of possibilities but trying to narrow down the search before starting

I have a 2001 E150 that I just bought and the previous owner claimed dash lights just quit working

Ok not crazy and would assume a fuse, bulb or ground right?

All dash panel lights are out, and yes have tried turning light switch and dimmer is not the problem

But odd thing is High beam indicator is now backwards (comes on with high beams OFF)

Weird thing is I turn on the High beams and indicator light goes off, and goes on when the high beams are off

And turn signals work and flash when tuned on as well

Have not check anything yet but wanted to research it

I have ordered LED 194 bulbs to replace everything in case problem is the bulbs

But with Highbeam and turn signal light issues too makes me think it wont be burnt out bulbs and is something else (ground or?)

Love to hear more input and solutions from you previous posters, did you find your problem??

Thanks

OutlawImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Your problem will require removing the entire cluster first---you'll have to do this to change bulbs anyway. I don't have anything against LED replacements myself but I have no problems with the incandescent versions that come from the factory either---personal choice I'm sure.

Having an EVTM for your year to help track voltages to the cluster connections will be pretty much essential. If you can verify voltage is present where/when required then this might be a problem with the cluster itself. That's not a huge deal to obtain replacements other than the displayed miles won't be accurate to the vehicle. (There's a work around for this I've already learned DIY so its not huge.) Do keep in mind there is a specific range of years and fuel-types that need to be heeded---don't ask how I know this can lead to comical problems.

This is a crazy good deal on an EVTM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-FORD-E...lRSKSV&vxp=mtr

We'd also need to know your general level of experience working on vehicles. This isn't brain surgery but it does need a bit of previous experience following schematics, troubleshooting the actual hardware etc etc.

We're here to help if we can.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Your problem will require removing the entire cluster first---you'll have to do this to change bulbs anyway. I don't have anything against LED replacements myself but I have no problems with the incandescent versions that come from the factory either---personal choice I'm sure.

Having an EVTM for your year to help track voltages to the cluster connections will be pretty much essential. If you can verify voltage is present where/when required then this might be a problem with the cluster itself. That's not a huge deal to obtain replacements other than the displayed miles won't be accurate to the vehicle. (There's a work around for this I've already learned DIY so its not huge.) Do keep in mind there is a specific range of years and fuel-types that need to be heeded---don't ask how I know this can lead to comical problems.

This is a crazy good deal on an EVTM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-FORD-E...lRSKSV&vxp=mtr

We'd also need to know your general level of experience working on vehicles. This isn't brain surgery but it does need a bit of previous experience following schematics, troubleshooting the actual hardware etc etc.

We're here to help if we can.
JWA

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my issue

I am fine with stock bulbs as well, but my decision to replace with LED was based on my experience with my previous RV that research taught me LEDs are brighter, longer life, lots less amps and burn so much cooler

Will see though, never used them in a guage cluster so will see

I just ordered the schematic factory manual and its on the way so hopefully it helps

I have not done anything so far , not even checked a fuse. But the high beam and turn signal indicators have me thinking its gonna be more than just a fuse

Thanks again, very appreciated
Old 01-16-2018, 03:10 AM   #4
JWA

Its hard to say if or what the PO did that might have caused the cluster lamps to fail as they did---that's just me being skeptical so don't pay that too much mind.

However because the dash lamps don't illuminate plus your observed issues with the other indicator lamps suggests something has changed in the circuits leading from the main headlight switch to the cluster.

By all means check fuses first----I hope its nothing more. If not the EVTM will be your best friend tracking all this down.

Is this van a daily driver or a future project?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Its hard to say if or what the PO did that might have caused the cluster lamps to fail as they did---that's just me being skeptical so don't pay that too much mind.

However because the dash lamps don't illuminate plus your observed issues with the other indicator lamps suggests something has changed in the circuits leading from the main headlight switch to the cluster.

By all means check fuses first----I hope its nothing more. If not the EVTM will be your best friend tracking all this down.

Is this van a daily driver or a future project?
Yea wondering if previous owner might have done something while installing a radio or something?

Will check it all out

It is a daily driver project to be a full time RV while I travel and work living out of it

But lots to do first

Will post what I find, thanks again
Old 01-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #6

Here is my new ride I am excited about

New Crate Ford engine, trans, tires, dual batteries , dual AC

And not a single ding or dent
Attached Thumbnails
Photo Jan 09, 10 43 10 AM.jpg   Photo Jan 10, 2 21 06 PM.jpg   Photo Jan 10, 2 26 42 PM.jpg   Photo Jan 09, 10 43 26 AM.jpg  
Old 01-17-2018, 04:18 AM   #7
JWA

Nice Looking rig----enjoy!

Keep us informed of your dash lights issue---interested to know what you find.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #8

That's a good looking rig. Any idea why the engine was replaced, that's pretty rare around here except for the 6.0's.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
That's a good looking rig. Any idea why the engine was replaced, that's pretty rare around here except for the 6.0's.
Not sure why, it was the previous owner to who I bought it from

My seller bought it and got sick and was forced to sell after a short ownership

But he didnt just claim it, he had gave me the receipt from the Ford dealership that installed it

And was paid for not any warranty or recall type issue

But wish I knew why as well

But this van is so clean it is amazing, not a single door ding

Paint is amazing except on the fiberglass top which needs to be repainted

I feel so lucky to have gotten it with my limited budget