Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #1

2007 Ford RB Quigley chassis battery solonoid?

I’ve got a 2007 Quigley v10 with a slight “conversion van” setup done by Eclipse Specialty Vehicles before I bought it. I’ve been chasing down some funky wiring on the van as I don’t really have a complete history of what some strange wiring was there for. I traced the chassis battery (not sure if it’s stock) to a solonoid under the engine compartment battery box. Anyone know if it’s stock and why it’s just not paralleled to the engine compartment battery? FWIW, the chassis battery is completely dead right now. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
7C0F907A-9EA6-4240-9639-B0952EB04E4C.jpg   C24DEA09-A71B-4B2E-A344-0179210CEAD2.jpg  

dickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #2

Garage
Looks like what is likely the Ford factory starter relay to me........

...is it one of these?

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS SS613T T-Series
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...434715&jsn=469
Attached Thumbnails
2007_V10_Starter_Relay.jpeg  
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
brp

Is that an isolator solenoid? That would allow the chassis battery to be charged when the vehicle is running but prevent the house battery from draining the starter battery.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #4

It does, except for the connection for the switched voltage from the key switch. On one post, there are 2 ring terminals, one goes straight to the chassis battery, the other is 10g, white, poorly routed, and heads under the dash and is not stock looking. The other post is a hot lead straight to the engine compartment battery. The starter lead is coming off the engine compartment battery, I’m not 100%, haven’t looked, but I think my starter relay is on the side of my starter.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #5

If you traced the wire from the battery to the solenoid, it's most likely a relay energized when the engine is running, to charge the chassis (or house) battery. If you simply paralleled the house to the engine start battery, you could run them both down beyond the ability to start the engine. The solenoid keeps them seperate when the engines off.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #6

This is what I’m hoping! But if so, I can’t figure out how it’s controlled

I should have added more info in original post, there are a a few switches in the cockpit that don’t seem to do anything, with hard to trace wiring to them. Most of the really funky wiring I’ve found have traced back to a “pro-air II” heater built into the back.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #7

Looks like the optional auxiliary battery relay for the V10. The signal that turns it on comes from the Central Junction Box F2.12 (15amp fuse) Hot in Run. At least that is the info I have for a 2004.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Looks like the optional auxiliary battery relay for the V10. The signal that turns it on comes from the Central Junction Box F2.12 (15amp fuse) Hot in Run. At least that is the info I have for a 2004.

-greg

Ah ha!! That makes sense, thank you, I’ll check it out!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post

-greg
X2

That's the stock AUX battery. Connected when the ignition is in ON or ACC. Probably setup to power the "house" part of your conversion, just like an RV battery.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. Did some internet searching and found some info from a ford truck forum... putting it here unless anyone else searches for these answer. It’s a accessory solonoid to use the chassis battery independently of the engine battery. When the ignition is in “run” it closes the contact to charge the chassis battery. While parked, it only powers the trailer hookup and not the lights or A/V you might have in the van. I’ve also been told it only works for trailer accessories and does not parallel while starting the vehicle. I believe mine has a switch added to run lights and A/V off the chassis battery. I’ll do some more digging through the wiring and post what I find. Thanks for the help!