Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #1

24V Espar D4

Was hoping someone might know if a step down converter can be used on a 24v Espar D4, so it could be used in a 12v system. Also if these heaters would be appropriate for a van, I know very little about DC electrical, thanks.

gwbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #2

You don't need a step DOWN, you need a step UP - you need to turn the van's 12V into 24V to drive the unit. You could get a DC/DC converter that would do that, but the price, plus the fact that you aren't experienced with electronics, suggests you might be better off just getting a 12V unit. Are you looking at a hydronic unit or an airtronic? Are you heating antifreeze or air? Do you already have the D4, or are you looking to buy?
If you don't already have the unit, and you just want hot air, not hot water, you might be better off going with a knock-off unit from AliBaba - the price will be MUCH lower, and you can get a 12V unit.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
You don't need a step DOWN, you need a step UP - you need to turn the van's 12V into 24V to drive the unit. You could get a DC/DC converter that would do that, but the price, plus the fact that you aren't experienced with electronics, suggests you might be better off just getting a 12V unit. Are you looking at a hydronic unit or an airtronic? Are you heating antifreeze or air? Do you already have the D4, or are you looking to buy?
If you don't already have the unit, and you just want hot air, not hot water, you might be better off going with a knock-off unit from AliBaba - the price will be MUCH lower, and you can get a 12V unit.
They are airtronic units, and it's too late I'm now the proud owner of 5 of them, so it'd be nice if I could get one to work for me, if not, I've made bigger mistakes. They are all brand new by the way.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #4

Will your van have a 120VAC setup? If so, the easier solution would be to get a 120VAC to 24VDC transformer. Those are pretty common (we spec them all the time for control power).
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
Will your van have a 120VAC setup? If so, the easier solution would be to get a 120VAC to 24VDC transformer. Those are pretty common (we spec them all the time for control power).
So the 120AC power would come from an inverter, to a 120AC to 24DC transformer?
Old 07-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #6

Just see how many amp you need to run the 24V Espar D4 and find a 12 to 24 converter that can supply that current. They are not really difficult to find.

https://www.amazon.com/Daygreen-Modu...78185718&psc=1

I would not recommend inverting 12V DC to 120 AC and then 120 AC back to 24V, there would be to much lost in conversion to make it worthwhile.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:06 AM   #7

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #8

The one that I provided a link to has an input low spec of 11 volts, which should be good, depending on your wire runs.

This unit has a lower input 9 Volts
https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-W...1X5TGMM3PSHGNS
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #9

Espar parts Michigan has a guy named Aaron who I guarantee you can answer that question perfectly.
Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:33 AM   #10

One thing to look out for: The Espar has a significant start-up current - many tens of amps - to drive the glowplug until the system lights off, so don't just look at the steady-state current needed to run the motors.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote