Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #11

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: 4D Battery Deals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
Bought two of the 175 aH/20hr AGM units. Price was same as you paid plus $10 core.

Are they the Alcatel/Lucent batteries?....just curious as my neighbor's buddy is looking for batts for his RV.
They are. This business is right around the corner from our shop. Nice folks.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #12

I got one too. Free delivery to San Francisco included by 1der!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #13

I downsized from 2x27s and a 4D to just 2x30's. I also didn't like the idea of that big 4D sitting under the van just waiting to take a boulder or other unwanted item. I went to Hensley in Denver and was very happy with the price and they gave me. They also gave me $20 for the 4D core which is better than throwing it in the creek I suppose.
skiingjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Keep in mind that your 27's are your starter batts and the 4D is your house battery, taking care of all of your interior gadgets/lights. Is everything still working back there? If so, you will be running down your starters.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #15

I thought the starters were group 65's? Maybe he had a mixed set of house batteries?
Old 12-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #16
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Either way, my point was to bring attention to the fact that the house battery serves a function separate from the starting batteries, it sounds like he pulled the house battery (4D) and only replaced the 2 starters with size 30's? Not good, as you will soon find yourself with 2 dead starting batteries...skiingjohn?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #17

Well if you put 2 30s in place of the frame rail starter 27s your house side wouldn't even function. If you put one 30 on the frame rail in place of two 27s I think you'd immediately have starting issues (replacing the 4D with the other 30). And like someone said, aren't the starter batteries Group 65?

I'm guessing he had BOTH 2x27 and one 4D as his house side power. They are both "typical" house battery setups and it's not impossible that some owner added a 4D to the 27s or vice versa.

I went ahead and bought my batteries from Apex- we'll see if they live up to the test. They're currently sitting in my loader bucket on my tractor. Oddly enough they came UPS, my last set came on a pallet.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #18

I put the Apex batteries in yesterday and today. They shipped sometime in December and have sat in my aluminum trailer in the cold ever since. Since I magnanimously pushed the install back by three months to totally intentionally test the shelf life I thought I'd post.

Both batteries came fully charged but I didn't check them immediately. I know they were fully charged because after six weeks sitting they still had 12.7 and 12.6v. I didn't pay attention to which was which, however by the time I managed to start this project they were down to 12.3 and 11.4. I did have a little trouble getting the test leads to contact the battery contacts so the readings might have been erroneous.

I hit the lower one with a trickle charger for a few hours and after brushing things up I read 12.7 on each. Since then they've been installed and solar has been up. Not sure what I'm holding but I'll give an update in the future.

The batteries are a pretty (or ugly) green. They seemed nicely made, except one terminal was slightly bent and all the terminals had sort of a corroded coating that I wire brushed off before starting. I mean it was less coating than there is dust on my desk at the moment, but it was a little less than shiny before brushing. I'm not sure brushing mattered that much because the leads all dug into the terminals fairly far upon tightening. I don't remember that happening with the Lifeline or any of the Deka batteries. They were slightly smaller than the lifeline and far smaller than the Deka (1/4" width?) which left a few gaps in my tray. They went in nice and easy despite that.

The handles are a loop of string and a plastic handle which flattens against the top of the handle spot, and otherwise the outsides are nearly featureless. It's a nice basic design, that is if you like kelly green. All in all I'm fairly confident these will solve my house problems (along with the new alternator and new starting batteries).

My old Deka batteries sat on a trickle charger for a month or so in the garage after they were removed, and one of them is still testing above 12v despite sitting cold for another month. The other one won't come up over 10v, so I think one was bad-bad and the other might be repurposed for something other than a $5 autozone credit. Still, the Apex pair were cheaper than a single replacement Deka, and the labor is what really kills so I wouldn't want to pair a questionable battery even with a new one.

I swear I'll take care of them this time- although some of my problems were to blame on my alternator baking them, I didn't, until recently, have a good way to shore power at home and the solar only works out of the SMB Tent.
Attached Thumbnails
20150321_105446.jpg  
Old 05-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #19

It doesn't sound like anyone has had these too long but any reviews so far of the Apex batteries. The price is definitely right on them but I'm wondering if this is one of the "you get what you pay for" situations.
dfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinn
It doesn't sound like anyone has had these too long but any reviews so far of the Apex batteries. The price is definitely right on them but I'm wondering if this is one of the "you get what you pay for" situations.
Dfinn,
Where are you located? I just picked up two 4D's from Deep Cycle Batteries
in San Diego. They are Lucent/Alcatel batteries made by Deka, paid $125 each
but they will not ship, but will deliver for a small fee to the LA surrounding areas.
www.deepcyclebatterystore.com
2004 Ford F350 Service Truck
2006 Peterbilt 320 (hence my forum handle)
Pete320 is offline   Reply With Quote