Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #11

Re: 5.4 Starting and House batteries - do they need to match

Thanks for the clarification. Most places seem to know about dual batteries on diesels and suggest you replace both. I always wondered about what's being described here as my V10 has the aux battery mounted on the passenger side frame rail.

And since I'm wondering .. why isn't the OEM frame mounted battery a deep cycle battery? Its intended use is to power the trailer accessories which would seem to fit the usage profile of a deep cycle battery.

Ray

my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
Thanks for the clarification. Most places seem to know about dual batteries on diesels and suggest you replace both. I always wondered about what's being described here as my V10 has the aux battery mounted on the passenger side frame rail.

And since I'm wondering .. why isn't the OEM frame mounted battery a deep cycle battery? Its intended use is to power the trailer accessories which would seem to fit the usage profile of a deep cycle battery.

Ray
I'd guess price. But if you think about it, why is that an option for a van because how often do you see vans pulling trailers? Maybe it's an option for any tow package and is designed for trailer lights and brakes not camping trailers. How many amps can run through one of those trailer plugs anyway.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb

I'd guess price. But if you think about it, why is that an option for a van because how often do you see vans pulling trailers? Maybe it's an option for any tow package and is designed for trailer lights and brakes not camping trailers. How many amps can run through one of those trailer plugs anyway.
Its fused for 40A but probably limited to 25-30 amps by wire size. I was thinking maybe they use a non-deep cycle for manufacturing simplicity. Using another start battery means they could use the same battery-installing robot for both gas and diesel frame batteries.

On that note.... Starting with 2013 V10 vans they are a dual battery setup where they are always in parallel. I don't know why they changed.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Does the old setup help start the vehicle?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #15

Quote:
No. Although if the starting battery is borderline, you can put in in start for a few minutes and let them balance some, and that may be enough to get it started.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
No. Although if the starting battery is borderline, you can put in in start for a few minutes and let them balance some, and that may be enough to get it started.

That's an interesting idea. I'm going to head to south Jersey soon, Tekris Power, the guy who installed my inverter, the solar panel, the deep cycle AGM golf cart batteries and all the associated wiring. I'll see what he thinks of all this. I may print the thread out to show to him.

Thanks, all, for your input and knowledge.

Paul
Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Hey Paul, just be aware if it can do that, it can also do the opposite. Say the aux is very low, it just might make for a hard start. Maybe the PCM can monitor each battery and control the separator...I don't know but I would hope so.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #18

So, I spoke with the guy who installed my whole electrical system. He suggested ditching the rail battery. He said that my big house batteries were wired in parallel with it and that it was redundant at this point. He would put in a couple of posts to join the starting and house systems and then I'd just replace the starting battery.

For whatever reason, I'm not sure I want to do that. Of course, it would not hurt to lost 30 or 40 pounds of weight on that side, either, by ditching the frame rail battery.

What do you guys think?

Paul
Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
So, I spoke with the guy who installed my whole electrical system. He suggested ditching the rail battery. He said that my big house batteries were wired in parallel with it and that it was redundant at this point. He would put in a couple of posts to join the starting and house systems and then I'd just replace the starting battery.

For whatever reason, I'm not sure I want to do that. Of course, it would not hurt to lost 30 or 40 pounds of weight on that side, either, by ditching the frame rail battery.

What do you guys think?

Paul
Why not move the house batteries down to the frame? it will lower the center of gravity and free up space inside.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #20

That's not a bad idea. My only concern was with rapid discharging in cold weather if they're outside the van. then again, an extra few cubic feet is nothing to sneeze at.