Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2019, 02:26 PM   #1

Garage
?? 6 Volt batts:Futureproofing?

My head is spinning. I’ve read nearly every thread on 6v vs 12v. I’m considering installing a 2x6v system and have these noob questions:

- if I go with 2 x 6v AGM batts at 225 amp hours, is there any downside with regard to adding solar later?

- There seem to be some advantages to going 6v, not the least of which for me is that the shop I’m considering for a frame-mount install does only a 2x6v frame mount. Question: is there some downside to going 6v?

I understand the cost differential in always needing to buy 2 batts at any time. My main concern is I’m looking to future-proof my choices to the extent possible. If I go with 6v, am I giving something up?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:03 PM   #2

Going with 6 volt batteries in series will not effect your ability to add solar at a latter time, or other devices later on. I am a fan of one bigger battery if I can. Two 6 volt AGM batteries in series will not be any better than one larger 12 volt AGM battery. You have identified the downside pretty much.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:06 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Going with 6 volt batteries in series will not effect your ability to add solar at a latter time, or other devices later on. I am a fan of one bigger battery if I can. Two 6 volt AGM batteries in series will not be any better than one larger 12 volt AGM battery. You have identified the downside pretty much.

-greg
Thanks, Greg. Why do you favor one bigger battery? And, btw, I’m feeling a bit at the mercy of the installer’s choices here. Any recommendations for where I could get another kind of frame mount installed?
Old 05-31-2019, 11:16 PM   #4

Consider that two 6v's at Costco will be under $200 for the same number of amp hours. What's a 250Ah AGM cost? AGM's also prefer a slightly different set of charge parameters than your alternator likely puts out, it's designed for lead acid. It will still work, but you won't get the premium results you pay for with the AGM. If you do go 6v lead acid, remember you have to maintain the water level, which is a lot more work on a frame mounted system. There's no Water to maintain on an AGM.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #5

In general just less connections, easier debug and maintenance in the future. As I said it is a preference, there is nothing that would stop me from doing it. I currently run 1 - 4D battery, if I wanted more power I would need to wire more in parallel.

I am not a big believer in the 2 six volts are better than 1 12 volt theory. Many of the benefits that are touted are because of technology and construction of battery. They generally are not comparing apples to apples when touting benefits. If you were going with two Trojan T-105 Golf cart batteries compared to Walmart deep cycle 12 volt battery, I would agree the two Trojan's are better. But that assessment would not be because they six volt batteries.

You might try MG at Expovans, he made a bomber battery tray for one of his customers, it unfortunately goes where the gas tank was, as the customer went with the larger rear tank I believe. Ask your installer what are the dimensions of his tray, IE what size batteries can it hold.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #6

Remember that when you connect batteries in series (such as x 6v), the amp hours are not additive. Each batter is still still passing the same amps and you're only doubling the volts.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #7

I'd go with one 12V as well...or two smaller 12V in parallel...and AGM...as already mentioned.

If you have parallel wired 12V batteries and have an issue with one, you can disconnect it and still have some 12V power....not so with 6V in series.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
That said, Lowes has the 448 amp 6V batteris for cheap: https://www.lowes.com/pd/deka-6-volt...oaAkpeEALw_wcB

But for absolute lowest cost/amp, this might be the winner. Might not be the easiest to handle however, and less space friendly:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/deka-12-vol...caAgvyEALw_wcB
Remember, what ever battery you choose, you want deep cycle batteries rated in Amp hours. Starting batteries are rated in CCA (cold cranking amps) and will not provide the long life when deeply discharged that a deep cycle will. Also consider how you will lower and raise a flooded cell battery to add water. The harder it is, the better the chance it could run dry between checks, and the minute the water gets below the plates the battery is done.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks for your input, fellas. I’m a big fan of AGM’s, so no contest there. I have four gigantic Lifelines in the 48v system in my electric boat. Whenever there’s a way to avoid maintenance, I’m all for it.

I’d prefer to go with two 12v vs 6v, all else being equal. My biggest problem is finding/getting a mount. Greg, I’ll contact MG, tho I saw him recently and he’s all wrapped up in Transits.

Then there’s this... I hadn’t thought of it, BW, but sounds like a good consideration:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
. ... If you have parallel wired 12V batteries and have an issue with one, you can disconnect it and still have some 12V power....not so with 6V in series.
Anybody see a problem mounting on the drivers side vs passenger side?

Old 06-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Remember, what ever battery you choose, you want deep cycle batteries rated in Amp hours.
Yup. Sorry. I did a quick google shopping search and didn't realize the results weren't what I searched, but the titles looked good!