Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #1

604 battery abnormal mode code

Any help would be appreciated. We have recently been getting a 604 error code on our ZAMP Solar controller when we use the electric BUN coffee maker (1300w). We've owned the SMB since it was new in 2015. We've had the coffee maker for the same time. We had 2 new house AGM batteries installed fall of 2018. (May be unrelated to the issue).

The 604 code states that this is an overheating indicator. The digital themperature readout on the ZAMP goes from 29C to 65C when making a cup of coffee. So it does seem to be overheating. The 604 popped on when the temp hit 65C. We're just not sure why its overheating. The inverter fan came on at about 45C.

We have a goucho couch along the driver side of the van. The Magnun MS2000 inverter is mounted under the couch. We have 2 new house batteries and 2 solar panels.This issue happens even we've been fulled topped off by shore power.

Thoughts??

bglockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:46 PM   #2

It would appear that your battery or battery sensor is getting hot, which throws the code. I would expect the temperature gain is from using your magnum inverter. Have you checked what the temperature reading is on the magnum controller.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:44 AM   #3

This could be as simple as a bad connection. Where, exactly, is the temperature sensor that is going over-temp? If it is bolted to the battery minus, as some I've seen, it may be that the battery minus connection is a bit corroded or simply loose, and presenting a high resistance. Under normal charging, especially from solar, the currents are relatively low, and so the I2R heating is low. You start pulling 100A to run your coffee maker through the inverter, and the I2R heating goes through the roof.
Try checking all your connections, especially any around the temperature sensor.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #4

604 code

Thank you for your replys. We took the seat off the goucho and created a makeshift fan to blow more air across the inverter. (Picture attached for your amusement). This did seem to keep it cooler, but still not a solution. We determined/confirmed that this 604 code does not occur if we're on shore power (ie using DC; not going thru the inverter).

As this issue did not occur until we had the new house batteries installed (by CamperWorld Tempe, AZ), our next step is going to be to drop the batteries and check all the connections. We told camperworld that we wanted to replace the batteries with the exact same batteries as we had from Sportsmobile. They ended up with something a little different; which then required different battery connectors than the ones we had (either we hand "L" connectors and they put a different connector on or the other way around. I don't recall.) Again, this makes us suspicious of the connections.

As we're in Minnesota right now, we're going to take it to a shop we trust to drop the batteries and check connections.

Any additional thoughts anyone has will be much appreciated.

FYI- the inverter manual states that the inverter environmental temp should be less than 77F. Not sure how that's even possible in many instances with the inverter mounted below the goucho, and we camp in the desert SW a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
20190713_161916.jpg  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:30 PM   #5

I think you will find that temperature is 77C, not 77F.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #6

77C does make more sense. I'll look at the book again.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #7

I believe the high temp shutdown for the inverter/charger is 54C. The 77F is the standard temp-voltage setpoints, As the battery temperature goes up or down, the temp sensor compensates the output voltage. You would normally trip internal FET or Transformer Temp sensors on the magnum before a battery temp issue.

The magnum sensor is a little slower to react then some others, so the question would be you actually trip the inverter or are you just getting the 604 code on the solar charger.

I agree that your best action is to drop the batteries and look at the connections. I have seen a couple of sensors that can be put on the positive post but most have to go on the negative.

-greg
Old 07-31-2019, 12:25 PM   #8

Update: 604 battery abnormal mode code

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help with my house batteries. I'm happy to report that your advice was spot on.

Our mechanic didn't have time to drop and check both house battereies the 1st day he had the van, so it was about a week between looking at the 1st battery and then the second.

Reminder: this trouble started when we had two, new house battereies installed by CamperWorld in Mesa, Arizona. We really became alarmed when the solar panel started tripping out when we brewed coffe and started giving us the 604 (battery overheating) code. Temp on the solar panel went from 26C to 65C during the brewing. We have used this coffe maker for over 4 years in the van with no probelem (with original house batteries)

Here's what our mechanic found... all 4 battery connections were VERY loose. He said he could easily lift some right off the battery terminal posts. Other nuts and bolts were just hand tightened. He could easily screw off the wing nuts with his hand. He also found that all 4 of the adaptors, that CamperWorld put on, still had the factory paint on the connections. So we were trying to pull power thru the paint, instead of having a good metal to metal connections. Pictured below are two of the adaptors AFTER our mechanic removed the paint where the connections are made.

So, about $400 later, everything is working perfectly. Coffee maker goes from 26C to 28C when brewing coffee. Batteries are also powering up higher and staying charged longer again. Yeah!!!

Thanks again for helping us track this down. We're hitting the road again. Safe travels.
-Beth and Jeff

P.S. We had a side discussion on this thread about the Magnum Inverter temperature. That didn't end up being the problem, but FYI here's a quote from page 10 of the Magnum handbook, Section 2.1.3 Locating the Inverter "Cool - The inverter should be protected from direct sun exposure or equipment that produces extreme heat. The ambient temperature around the inverter must not exceed 77F (25C) to meet power specificatioins."
Attached Thumbnails
imagejpeg_0.jpg  
Old 07-31-2019, 03:03 PM   #9

Garage
Its always a relief to resolve electrical problems! Sure hope (if you haven't already) you're reaching out for CamperWorld in Mesa, Arizona to see if you can recoup some of your costs...that's just careless workmanship.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:16 PM   #10

Glad that you got that figured out. I suspect that to be pretty standard info, as (25°C) 77°F is room temperature. Below that paragraph you they talk about being in a enclosure, that the temperature must not exceed (20°C) 68°F. This would put the max operating input temperature at (45°C) 145°F. But looking at the Environmental Specifications they list operating temperature range at (-20°C) -4°F to (60°C) 140°F. Generally if the inverter or charger is getting temperature shutdown they would be coming from FET or Transformer temperatures.

-greg

Tags
604, inverter, overheating