Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #1

Garage
8 GA Wire Terminal on SMB Fuse Block?

I am installing a Nordic DT stove in my SMB. Given the length of the wire run, I needed to use 8ga wire. The SMB terminal block, however, is sized to fit spade connectors for 10ga wire. The spade connector for the 8ga wire is too large.

What is my best solution?

This photo shows the SMB terminal block with 10ga spade terminals fitting perfectly, but not enough room for an 8ga spade terminal.

Side note: now that I have a path from the driver's side terminal block, which is under the gaucho, to the passenger side, which is where my sink and stove are located, I am leaving a pull string in place just in case I need it in the future.

There are advantages to being a small person. Like when pulling wire behind the fridge.

Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #2

Ha! That last pic is hilarious! Good idea on the string. I would run a 10 gauge off one of those lugs to the new appliance with an inline fuse, or straight off the battery with an inline fuse.

https://www.amazon.com/InstallGear-G...ge+inline+fuse

You can place it right there an few inches off the lug or battery so it's centrally located with all your other fuses.

Better yet, I would probably do a resettable breaker. They aren't much more and can act as a switch and you never have to replace a fuse. I'm doing these on most of the bigger loads I run these days since the breakers have gotten cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOOKOTO-12V-2...amp+dc+breaker
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

Garage
Eric, I like your idea for a resettable breaker.

I can't use 10ga wire. It's too small for the load and the length of the run. And the 8ga wire is already run. Which is why I was tucked in behind the fridge.

The OCD nutcase inside me really wants everything to come off of the terminal block, because that makes everything neat and tidy. But if I can't tie into the terminal block with my 8ga wire, then I'll have to go from the battery.

Is there no simple way to tie into the terminal block with an 8ga wire?
Ready to Rumble!
Old 07-09-2017, 07:09 PM   #4

Garage
Actually, now that I think about it...the photo shows a 40 amp auto-reset breaker upstream of the terminal block. Instead of tying into the terminal block, I could run an 8ga wire from the downstream side of the 40 amp breaker to a 15 amp auto-reset breaker mounted just below the terminal block, and then feed my stove from there. That would be clean and neat, and would keep my OCD nutcase reasonably happy.

Ready to Rumble!
Old 07-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Could you cut off the plastic insulator guard off one of the terminal location on either end of the fuse block to give access for a larger spade? Obviously you'd have to give a little extra care to make sure nothing could short against the now more exposed terminal, but it should give you enough room.

Herb
Old 07-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #6

Cool. Sounds like you've got it. Just keep this in mind. There's not all that much difference in a 10 gauge and 8 gauge wire in terms of physical size. If you strip away the sheathing from both side by side you will see this. You could probably easily fit an 8 gauge into most 10 gauge terminals/slots/whatever by stripping the wire and twisting the stripped end very tightly and working it carefully into the terminal or place you need it. I've done this many times. If you're circuit is properly fused and your grounds are good you are going to be fine. I'm not condoning trying to jam 2 gauge wire into a 16 gauge connector, mind you, but 8 in a 10, 14 in a 16, etc. is fine.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Cool. You could probably easily fit an 8 gauge into most 10 gauge terminals/slots/whatever by stripping the wire and twisting the stripped end very tightly and working it carefully into the terminal or place you need it.

Dude. You just solved my problem. I'll get some 10ga spade terminals and see if I can get the 8ga wire into one. As long as doing so does not add resistance to the system, then that is the simplest solution, and that's what I'll do. Thank you!
Ready to Rumble!
Old 07-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #8

Waytek has 8 gauge #8 stud terminals. https://www.waytekwire.com/products/...ize=-8&Gauge=8

I suspect that your terminal block accepts #8 ring terminals. I would have concern if any of my terminals on the block were spade terminals, but especially anything above 10 amps.

Downsizing the terminal (stripping away copper strands to fit on larger gauge wire) would only be an acceptable practice if your wire size is based predominantly on voltage drop, and not current capacity. And of course your fusing would match the derated ampacity.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote