Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #1

96 EB 7.3L battery options

Hi All,
The 94-96(?) 7.3L Ford diesels have a dual battery starter setup with both a group 50 and group 65 battery. I have interstates that are pretty old and wanted to replace them.

It seems hard to find two batteries of the same Manufacture/type now in both 50 and 65 sizes.

The options I can do i think are:
1) Interstate C65-XHD and C20-XHD. Only 24 month warranty on these for some reason
2) Optima Yellowtops - D34 (with included 65 adapters) and D51 (have to figure out tie down, but perfect fit apparently)
3) Same battery for both, seems someone got a bigger battery to fit in the same place, but had no tie down method. Not so good for off-road.

Any comments or suggestions on these options?

I have separate AGM batteries for house loads.

Vance

vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #2

I just replaced mine in my 1996 E350/7.3

I was faced with the same dilemma. I had called around and the best I could come up with was order both new through Napa Auto Supply. The long, narrow one was a special order. I picked them up, they were slightly different markings on the outside and different model series. Not what I would have preferred, but what are you going to do...
Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #3

Vance, Check PepBoys for a Bosch Group 65 AGM. Maybe they have a something else that will fit in the Group 50 slot.

Is the 50 in the engine compartment or on the frame? If on the frame, maybe you can change out the battery holder for a later model group 65 tray. 2002 uses 65 both in the engine bay and on the frame.

edit: Just did more research - both in engine bay and 50 is is an oddball size. hmmmmm.......