Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Adding Microwave

I've read a few back posts about adding microwave, but I was curious if it was as simple as this.

- Install Inverter
- Instal Microwave

Did any of you guys install some sort of switch to isolate the inverter from the battery to prevent constant draw from the battery when unused? Or does the power switch on the inverter do the trick?

Did you route the power direct to the battery or is there a better place to connect the leads of the inverter to?

I'd rather have a "cleaner" installation rather than a hack. I'm considering the $90 xantrex 1500 inverter from Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US

and I'm considering this Microwave also from costco

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... 85&topnav=

What physical sizes are your microwaves? I have an EB50 layout and plan to remove the drawer above the portapotty and put the microwave there.

There shouldn't be any issues having the rig connected to shore power and using a microwave from an inverter right?

jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:34 AM   #2

Adding microwave

Joe,

It sounds like you're using a point of use inverter that the microwave will simply plug in to, no 110 volt hard wiring. Should work okay, provided the microwave is compatible with this modified sinewave inverter (I'm assuming it is a modified sinewave because of the price). SMB had issues with certain types of microwaves not working with certain types of inverters years ago.

When installing the inverter, make sure you try to keep the 12 volt supply leads (battery cables) as short as possible. Use a fuse, and make sure you route the 12 volt supply leads directly to the house battery. Good ventilation is also a must.

Since this is most likely an inverter only, it shouldn't effect the existing converter/charger when you're connected to shore power. It would be best to operate the microwave form shore power if available, there is no reason to put any unnecessary load on the battery.

Double check the height and width of the microwave closely, the opening is smaller than it looks.

Good Luck!
John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
I found a Microwave on craigslist

I found a small microwave on craigslist that will fit the spot. 18" x 10.5. I'm going to have to move the shelf above the porta potty by about 1/4". But that will be ok. Then I'll route the inverter in the back. Did any of you have to modify the alloted space to make room for a microwave?

Joe
Old 05-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #4

Update:

Update:

The microwave I purchased is 18" x 10.75 x 12" deep. The top drawer space I have is 18" x 10". This makes for a tight fit. If I remove the t molding from the side of the melamine I can wedge it in there, albeit very tight and most likely that would cause the mdf to crack. I also need to move the shelf that seperates the drawer from the porta potty but there isn't much room to lower the shelf and still keep the porta potty accessible.
In addition, there is a metal L bracket that holds up teh counter top that I will need to move or fix so that the microwave fits better without stress to the side mdf / melamine panels. I still need the counter to be secure up front so i need to figure out a better way to do that. I also will probably need to figure a better way to mount the microwave as the 1/2" Melamine can't be lowered. Maybe I'll just have to mount some angle iron to hold the microwave up.

Do you guys have any space between the microwave and the sidewalls? Does it have plenty of ventilation?
What size is your microwave and brand/model?

What sizes are your upper spaces?
I'm not opposed to purchasing a different model, but would like to use this one if possible.

Joe
Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #5

If there is venting on the sides of the MW you can cut slats or drill holes in the walls- it will vent to the under the sink and fridge (at least in my config).

As far as the MDF under the MW, I say go with angle aluminum, losing the MDF will gain you precious vertical space, and you don't need the floor/ceiling for anything. Plus the toilet space will become part of the MW vent space... hmm, on second thought maybe angle iron to hold up the MW and something thin to act as a floor/ceiling and separate the MW from the toilet...