Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

Aftermarket Keyless Entry installed

Hey Everyone,

Just thought I'd post up a thread about a keyless entry system I just installed. It seems that most older SMB's/Ford Vans came with power locks but not a keyless entry system. My SMB is a 95 and it didnt come with factory keyless entry but it does have power locks. I've read up on some forums where people were trying to add factory keyless, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of locating the parts, etc. This is actually the second time I added keyless entry to a Ford vehicle and its pretty easy.

The system I used is a Bulldog KE1702. I bought it on amazon for $25 shipped (they're also on ebay for the same price). The kit comes with 2 keyless remotes, the brain module, and a relay. The relay is only used if you want to wire in parking lights or horn as a lock indicator. I didn't wire that in since I just wanted the lock/unlock feature.

You can install the system on either the driver's side or the passenger side since both sides have the lock/unlock buttons in the doors. I chose the passenger side since you have to get into the kick panel and the passenger side doesn't have an E-brake to deal with.

I took off the kick panel and dug around to find the lock/unlock wires. The bulldog site tells you which wires to look for, so that made it pretty easy. The wires to look for are solid BROWN and solid RED wires. I just followed the loom from the door into the cab and looked for the wires. I then followed the bundle of wires up towards the firewall and located the wires where I had enough room to work with.

I also tested multiple plugs to find a constant 12v wire and found that these two are constant hot.

At this point, its just a matter of cutting the wires (have faith in yourself!) and wiring in the wires from the new keyless brain/harness. I didn't take any other pics from the install, but finding the lock/unlock wires is the "hardest" part. If anyone is interested in more details, let me know! It is very easy to install and it doesn't cost much to have a lot of convenience if your van doesn't already have it.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #2

Re: Aftermarket Keyless Entry installed

Definitely would love any other details you can post. This is on the top of my to-do list for my 98 Ford SMB. Thanks!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #3

Brian,

Let me know what info you would like. If you are familiar with wiring aftermarket car stereos, you should have no problem installing this unit. The harness for the keyless module comes with a few extra wires that you wont need if you don't plan on wiring in the relay (parking light flash or horn honk).

I just cut off the wires on the harness that I knew I wouldn't need and that left me with 2 wires for the lock, 2 wires for the unlock, a ground wire, and 2 wires for the 12v constant hot. There is an antenna that doesnt get wired into anything, its just a loose wire that you leave alone. The instructions will also show you a general schematic of how the wires should tie into your factory system.

When you cut the factory red and brown wires, you are left with 4 ends to tie into. The 4 wires from the harness go to their respective ends (2 for lock, 2 for unlock). I cut one of the factory wires that I found to be a constant 12v and just wired in the necessary wires from the harness. There is a bolt next you can ground to and you're ready to test!

I would just twist the wires together before you use connectors just to make sure the functions work properly. When I first wired it all up, the buttons on the remote were reversed to the function I wanted (lock button on the remote would unlock and vice versa). Once you are satisfied with the funtions of the remote, crimp down some connectors and enjoy your new keyless system!
Old 10-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Site Team

If you don't want to deal with wiring, there's always the Ford wireless keypad.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6899&hilit=keypad

Herb
Old 10-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #5

Wouldn't you need to have the wireless lock/unlock installed first like mikracer did before you could install the keypad?
Old 10-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #6

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you would need the factory keyless module for the keypad to work. If you have the module installed already, then all you would need to do is buy an oem fob and program it. No installation necessary if thats the case. I think the keypad will only work with a factory system.

I think the factory module is located in pillar behind the drivers seat (is that the B pillar?) towards the bottom. I have the window sticker for my van and saw that keyless entry wasn't added as an option, so I knew that the module wasn't in there.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #7

Thanks for posting this Mikiracer, I had no idea I could get one of these so cheap. I have a 95 too that has PDL but no keyless so there's no way the keypad would work. It's 3x as much $$ anyway.
I did some research awhile back, called a couple of Ford service counters and looked around online. I am positive that you are right on the module location. That's where it is on my 02 and where everyone on various forums has said it is. It's easy to find. lock or unlock your doors and you will hear the relays in it clicking. I think it's the only black box back there anyway. The problem with most SMBs is that it is pretty hard to look for the module since there's usually a cabinet there. Also, I was told it isn't made anymore for the older vans. No idea of the cutoff year but not made for the 95 anymore. Also, there was a problem with them and many were replaced due to a wiring harness failure, so I'm betting the few left in salvage yards would be hard to find. I think this Bulldog setup is by far the easiest way.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Site Team

You guys are right, you need to Ford keyless module already installed to get the keypad to work.

Herb
Old 06-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #9

Just wanted to say thanks for this write up. Helped me install my keyless entry system today.

I did want to add a few things. My lock/unlock wires were not solid red and solid brown in my 99 e350. From the lock/unlock switch, the wires were pink with green and pink with yellow. I tried to connect the wires behind the kick panel but I found there wasn't enough room in there for me. Instead, I just connected the wires in the passenger side door. Lots of room behind the panel to zip tie the brain module. Power wires were connected to the green with yellow striped 12v "always hot" wire.

Well worth the minimal $ for this upgrade!
atong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:54 PM   #10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by atong
Just wanted to say thanks for this write up. Helped me install my keyless entry system today.

I did want to add a few things. My lock/unlock wires were not solid red and solid brown in my 99 e350. From the lock/unlock switch, the wires were pink with green and pink with yellow. I tried to connect the wires behind the kick panel but I found there wasn't enough room in there for me. Instead, I just connected the wires in the passenger side door. Lots of room behind the panel to zip tie the brain module. Power wires were connected to the green with yellow striped 12v "always hot" wire.

Well worth the minimal $ for this upgrade!

G'day atong,

Where did you get your keyless lock, would it fit my 2008 e350, please?

Pictures please?
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote