Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #11

Re: AGM Battery?

I'm extremely happy with my Optimas. I used to run Interstates but with all the rough terrain driving I do, they were always spilling acid out the top and I got tired of the mess and I wanted to ditch the frame box for the aux battery (it now just sits on an open tray so its easy to make connections). I was hoping to get a little better winching time from it (winch is only connected to starting battery) but otherwise they have held up well. I went with Optima because I could buy them at dealer cost. If I had to buy retail, I'd go with the Sears AGMs.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjim
Silicone heating pads bonded to the exterior on the oil pan & battery case worked excellent. The pads are made in many sizes and heat outputs. They mount to odd shapes well as they are flexible and mount with high temp silicone. The electrical draw is low usually not more that 300 watts so they work well with generators.
Might work for some. You can find different versions at RV shops like those for water tanks and lines. The problem is they pull way too many amps at 12vDC even if only ran periodically for battery operation. People who frequent camps with shore power or if you don't mind a generator running it could be a solution.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #13

This thread started on chassis batteries, but I am going to go out on a limb and ask a house battery question. Any brand recommendations for a 4D AGM? Any brands to avoid? Recommended vendors? I am replacing my Lifeline after it died. The positive cable shorted after the insulation rubbed on the van body and wore through. Gotta replace the cable, too. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #14
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Would go with same recommendations as AGM starters, I like Deka(East penn)Many have posted they have gone with sears AGM, again, I think are made by odyssey or east penn. If there is a distributor in your area for deka, made by east penn, you will find much better pricing than retail. The one around here is Hensley battery.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #15

I think Batteries Plus is a distributor for Deka.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #16

Garage

We went with AGM's for our house batteries. They are mounted on their side, and under the van where maintenance would be a problem. So AGM's were a no-brainer for the house side.

For starter batteries, my experience with all our cars is they last about 4 to 5 years. AGM batteries cost maybe 2x a regular battery? They would have to last more than 2x as long to be a good payback. Maybe with a diesel it would make sense, but we just carry jumper cables.

I wouldn't even need the jumper cables if I could remember to get the battery tested once in a while.