Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #11

Re: AGM Battery life

I have quit using the Sure Power unit and now use one by HBD. The Sure Power switch has not been much of a problem but the electronics that operate it are junk.

Greg

LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #12

The two ways I charge my AGM battery is either while the van is running or with shore power (either with generator or plugged in to an outlet). I've read the above. Am I doing things ok or should I be doing something different to extend battery life. I have a 2004. Thanks. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
The two ways I charge my AGM battery is either while the van is running or with shore power (either with generator or plugged in to an outlet). I've read the above. Am I doing things ok or should I be doing something different to extend battery life. I have a 2004. Thanks. oclv

When hooked to shore power does your charger go into the float mode?

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #14

Location: Rolling Hills, Mammoth Mountain, Coeur d Alene Idaho

Just for the record my boat has 2 dedicated Group 31 Sonnonshein AGM batteries for starting the engines they are 7.5 years old and so far have never been discharged much at all to my knowledge and have always held the optimum charge of 13 .5 volts. The engine batteries will be run to their end because they are in a tough spot to get to and have not only the house bank to back them up but a diesel generator as well and it's wet cell. There are 3 Group 31 AGM house batteries and the boat is on the third set at $900 or so per set (ouch). All the batteries are always on a charger when not in use but the bummer is the house batteries were accidentally run dry once and that as well as their use has proven severely life shortening to them. at 2.5 years or so these AGM's are lasting about the same amount of time as the wet cell deep cycle house bank I ran in my beloved Minnie Winnie motorhome. The last deep cycle I bought was I think $80 at CostCo and I will be very tempted to replace the AGM's with those in the future. There's no way I'd use the AGM's in a motorhome/RV unless they're a superbiachy to get to like my boat I couldn't justify the cost.