Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #11

Re: Alternator?

You might get a better deal from Ed at FICMrepair.com on a DCpower amp than ordering direct. http://www.ficmrepair.com/tips.htm

I have the 250A XP. Plug and play but you're going to want to upgrade the wiring (aka the big 3). https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/Ford~E-3 ... 50-xp.html

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Plug and play but you're going to want to upgrade the wiring (aka the big 3).
#13 on your first link- man, running new wiring is not in my top 100 things to do. I mean it sounds good, but I really am barely going to be able to bolt and go with a swap.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Looks like its time for a new hd alt for the 7.3. Not sure I need the 250 with only three batteries but looking at it. I have noticed that the new tranny is acting up at the same time the voltage drops to 12v to 13.2 but it ok at 13.7 at its highest. I see a pattern in the fact that after you replace gam batteries you soon do a alt or is that just a coincidence ?

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
#13 on your first link- man, running new wiring is not in my top 100 things to do. I mean it sounds good, but I really am barely going to be able to bolt and go with a swap.
Then maybe consider a 185A instead. https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/Ford~E-3 ... 5-oem.html

One thing is for sure don't buy a reman from Autozone or O'Reillys.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Wiring is easy, you only need to run an extra length between the alternator and starter on the 6.0. You already have 0 gauge running from both frame rail batterys to the starter, and something like 3 gauge from the alternator, so leave everything as is, and simply add a run of 1 or 2 gauge between the alternator and starter. It's worth doing that even if you don't add high output alternator as you'll see better voltage.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
I see a pattern in the fact that after you replace gam batteries you soon do a alt or is that just a coincidence ?
Not me. What I was seeing was a negative draw from my house battery when running at night with the Starcool on. It was just too much load for the stock alternator. I installed a 200A alternator which worked OK for a few years. Then I had an electrical event where the house battery contacted the frame which fried the alternator. After that I switched to the 270-XP. It produces better regulated voltage, handles heat better, and has higher amps. The batteries still should be took into the float level though and is a good reason for solar, even if it's a small panel. If I didn't have solar I would have cut in a Battery Minder or similar. There are also those high tech alternator regulators out there but I don't know how well they work.
Being I really didn't add any additional load, I left my buss wire the same. If I'm in there one of these days I'll probably upgrade.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #17

Little update, I was in Autozone the other day trying to get the Jeep back on it's legs and I asked the guys if anybody wrenched on the side. Got a kid down here today thinking he was going to have the alternator out and back in before his shift. An hour later and he is still struggling to get the intercooler tube off. Not that I'm worried, he seems competent enough for shade tree wrenching- it's definitely not easy to get to.

He's coming back tomorrow to finish, and after the alternator gets tested I'm planning to order the same one Dave has and have him put it back in. I doubt I'm going to do any additional wiring, I hate to say it but I think getting back up with the alternator will be enough. Then again I was thinking about having him install the winch I bought like 3 years ago for the van, and an extra wire to the alternator wouldn't add that much...

Where does one get appropriate wire, and length (both for the winch and alternator)?
Old 10-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #18

Advance sells some snazzy 2 guage welding cable but it's only available in clear (not black or red) in my neighborhood stores......if that matters.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #19
Site Team

Jage, we have a local Interstate Battery dealer that has all gauges of battery cable and lugs, and will crimp on the spot. See if you have an Interstate Battery nearby.

Herb
Old 10-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

There's a few places in Denver
Also check with any heavy truck or auto electric shop.
BD battery-Broomfield
http://www.bdbatteries.com/wire.php

Hensley Battery & Electrics
7203 E 47th Ave Dr, Denver, CO 80216
(303) 455-3643

Layton truck maybe?
Denver:
11951 East 33rd Ave.
Aurora, CO 80010
303-365-8828
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote