Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #1

Alternator Suggestions Needed to Power Danhard A/C

I'm preparing to drop off my 2003 Ford E350, v10 with SMB West for a full build and want my van's charging system to be able to support the new options. The plan is for SMB to install two house batteries in my rig and two solar panels for my RB50 build. In addition to the regular lighting, I will have a microwave unit in the back, a shortwave radio, and an emergency scanner. I am also going with the Danhard AC unit, but I'm concerned about being able to run the AC while the engine is on.

Here's what I am considering up front:

1. Upgrade to DC Power XP 270 Amp alternator.
2. Add a second starter battery using Ford's aux battery box. Tie the two batteries together in parallel for extra cranking amps.
2. Two Die Hard Platinum AGM starter batteries.

Would a 270 Amp alternator allow me to power the Danhard and keep all batteries charged when the engine is running? It's rated at 215 amps at 800 engine RPM.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or concerns about this setup? Is there a more appropriate inverter to use or is the SMB choice the best?

Another question. Is a Honda 2000 portable generator able to power the Danhard AC or will I need to be hooked up to shore power?

Thanks!
John

gradalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #2

Re: Alternator Suggestions Needed to Power Danhard A/C

I have a DCpower 250A alternator and am very happy with it. It's nice to see 14.7V within seconds of startup. I would think the 270 would have more than enough oomph to run the Danhard while your driving. Not sure about the generator question but I'm sure others will have some beta.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Re: Alternator Suggestions Needed to Power Danhard A/C

Try using Danhard + Honda in the search feature here on the site.

Fairly sure that members have used the 2000i and the correct size inverter to power the Danhard. SMB should be able to answer that. Dandard may improve on their A/C design in the future. I was told that the current model typically used needs a boost from the inverter during startup and after that the 2000i seems to keep up fine. Of course more is better. I think another question to ask is how well does the Danhard preform in hot weather. I have the Danhard Starcool III and am not real impressed with it on shore power. But much depends on the insulation and how it's used. I wouldn't be without it while driving.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote