Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #11

Re: Alternator went bad in a year

Sorry about the overcharge the alternator wordage. I think the Ford tech meant that the Optima battery caused the alternator to overwork and over heat and cause premature failure.
Here is where I am at at this point. I did replace the alternator with another Ford heavy duty alternator. I also took out the Optima Red Top and replaced it with a three year Motorcraft battery. I called Optima this morning and the tech there said that the way they charged my Optima at the Ford garage "could" have damaged the battery. With the battery people saying it is the alternator and Ford blaming the battery, I replaced both with Ford parts to eliminate going in circles.
I got a recommendation of a shop in Reno that is very good at finding issues with unusual electrical systems. I took the van right from the Ford garage over to this shop. He will take a look at both the van system and truck system, and how they interface, to see if everything is functioning properly. I will pick it up Thursday or Friday. Hopefully this will be the end of it. oclv

oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #12

One thing to check for is if the separator is wired correctly. I believe that some of the early separators may have had the start assist wire going to the run circuit instead of the start circuit. So instead of engaging while you are cranking, and then coming out of assist mode it stays on the whole time your running. This is not a huge deal, but if your house battery was low, it will have to charge both at the get go. If wired correctly the starting battery would get charged for a while first, then the separator would engage to charge the house. If you were to add in a bad starting battery this would add to the load of the alternator.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #13

I just got a call from Virgil Miller at Specialty Automotive in Reno. This is where I took the van to have all the electrical systems checked. He said everything is operating properly. He couldn't tell why the alternator failed. He said the truck system is fine, the house system is fine (he used all the technical language that I couldn't follow). He really seemed to know the system and how it all goes together and tested it all. Might be a good source for others near Reno if they are having issues. Specialty Automotive, 775-853-9000. oclv
Old 01-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #14

Greg, thanks for the thought. I actually read your paragraph to Virgil and he knew exactly what you were talking about and told me that it was wired properly, he even knew what guages all the wires were etc. Thanks again. oclv
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #15

Those of you with failed Alternators what were the mileage's on your Van's and how many of you have Solar Systems ? This might just figure into a part of my prescribed maintenance schedules , like I need something else to Monkey Dunk around with . Thank you Guy's .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #16

2000 Chev Express w Delco A60 alternator

My van and its log book are in storage for the winter. IF I remember correctly my OEM alternator failed at about 85,000 miles and 7 years of age. It had over its life charged both the engine battery and and house battery as needed...as well as providing normal power for everything else.

Had a Chev garage replace with same

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #17

Our van has 47,858 miles on it. I don't know if the previous owner had ever changed the alternator, but we bought the van in January of 2008. In December of 2008 we replaced the alternator and battery. That is the one that lasted a year and a day. We don't have solar panels. oclv